Egyptian-themed D&D Setting with PLANE SHIFT: AMONKHET

According to http://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/07/04/dd-meets-amonkhet-magic-the-gathering-this-week/ Plane Shift: Amonkhet should come out this week. I'll be interested to see if it's more engaging than Kaladesh. I had high hopes for that - but as an adventuring world it seems a bit dull after Zendikar and Innistrad.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Aren't the maps in the coffee table art book for each setting that these PDFs are meant to accompany?

You would like to think so - but no. Just artwork from the cardsets and words explaining the lore from James Wyatt. They're lovely to be sure but the missing link is the map IMHO.

That Zeal domain is pretty sweet. Extra attacks like a warpriest, fireball and haste on the domain spell list, maximize fire/thunder damage with channel divinity. Tasty stuff!

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Thanks, Robus. Really it would a pity if the rich background of M:tG to be not used for D&D games. I love to create and mixing crazy mash-ups from different sources. Have you imagined a crossover Transformers-Kaladdesh or Innistrad-Ravenloft?

Curse of Strahd reset in Innistrad is on my "to run" list absolutely. I hate the whole "mists take you from FR into Ravenloft" transition. It's OK - we don't have to start everything in the FR. And I also want to run Tomb of Annihilation in Zendikar. Kaladesh has left me cold for the time being. But some kind of urban campaign would work well there - there are lots of city zones to explore, just missing the adventure concept to tie it together.

mykesfree

Adventurer
I would have liked to see some of the unique MtG mechanics from this set used. For example, the exert mechanic could have been a feat that allows you to gain Action Surge, but you gain 3 levels of exhaustion, until you take a short rest.

Also, they could have included the Cartouche as reskinned Ioun stones or something like that.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I really do love these planeshift documents, although it has reached the point where I have no idea what is really happening in MtG. With the first two I had some background knowledge, I'm so far out of the loop now that I knew absolutely nothing about these last two. Still, some cool ideas in here.

I think I'm probably set for a map for this one as well, after reading it, just get a map of Egypt. Everyone is essentially within the Nile valley with everything outside it just a desert wasteland filled with demons and undead. While I do like looking at maps (and would have loved to see one for each planeshift document), the lack of one means that DMs can tailor each one to their campaign.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I think I'm probably set for a map for this one as well, after reading it, just get a map of Egypt. Everyone is essentially within the Nile valley with everything outside it just a desert wasteland filled with demons and undead. While I do like looking at maps (and would have loved to see one for each planeshift document), the lack of one means that DMs can tailor each one to their campaign.

You're absolutely right that for this plane a map derived from ancient Egypt would work quite well. The other planes need them more IMO.

Zardnaar

Legend
Artwork is incredible and one can easily steal the gods and races in this with PCs none the wiser.

I was actually looking at n Egypt themed game as well, one can use the map of Egypt or one of the neo Egypt's such as Osirion.

Zardnaar

Legend
That Zeal domain is pretty sweet. Extra attacks like a warpriest, fireball and haste on the domain spell list, maximize fire/thunder damage with channel divinity. Tasty stuff!

Yeah its like light domain married war domain and had a baby. This domain is very sweet.

Remove ads

Remove ads