Egyptian-themed D&D Setting with PLANE SHIFT: AMONKHET

According to http://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/07/04/dd-meets-amonkhet-magic-the-gathering-this-week/ Plane Shift: Amonkhet should come out this week. I'll be interested to see if it's more engaging than Kaladesh. I had high hopes for that - but as an adventuring world it seems a bit dull after Zendikar and Innistrad.

gyor

Legend
Still can't produce a FRCG or updates for other D&D settings, but there is room for these Planeshift settings?

And yeah D&D does have a setting where incarnated Egyptian Gods rule over people, the same setting even has Dragon Lords nearby them and a realm filled with unread.

It's called Mulhorand, with Dragon Lords nearby in Murgohm and undead hordes in nearby Thay.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Still can't produce a FRCG or updates for other D&D settings, but there is room for these Planeshift settings?

And yeah D&D does have a setting where incarnated Egyptian Gods rule over people, the same setting even has Dragon Lords nearby them and a realm filled with unread.

It's called Mulhorand, with Dragon Lords nearby in Murgohm and undead hordes in nearby Thay.

These are a hobby project by James Wyatt (to increase the value of his art books IMO) and are not produced by the D&D team. I appreciate his efforts to grow the options at least.

JeffB

Legend
IDK a dang thing about Magic, but they sure do have much better art than the D&D team puts out. This thing looks awesome and has some cool stuff to steal.

I wanna run some kind of Egyptian themed demi-gods vs. Set and his minions campaign now.

Xeviat

Hero
I excitedly came to look for a UA article for July and found this instead. New domains!? New races? Nifty.

We have a slightly move interesting Aarakokra, and a different take on snake people here. Being able to restrain with an attack is brutal. I'd nerf that one. I imagine Rogue 1 for sneak attack and Expertise (Athletics) will be very common for those grapples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Getting ready for a massive, multiplane campaing with those MTG conversion. Amonkhet seems like a good place to play thru Tyranny of Dragons.
-A lapis-lazuli mine where you work is attacked by the dragon cult, trying to gather a hoard for the arrival of Nicol Bolas, the Dragon Pharaoh on his own plane where he's supposed to bring the end of time.
- You venture in the dead infested desert to find the hatchery.
- You join a caravan of boats going back to the city.
- The Dragon-speakers have corrupted the 5 trials, the players must go thru the trials to try to get back the masks
- A huge, final battle on the monument of Nicol Bolas, as the twin suns merge behing the horned pyramids.

I'll probably add the Revenant race from UA Gothic, to play the domesticated mummies.

Zardnaar

Legend
IDK a dang thing about Magic, but they sure do have much better art than the D&D team puts out. This thing looks awesome and has some cool stuff to steal.

I wanna run some kind of Egyptian themed demi-gods vs. Set and his minions campaign now.

Magic has had better art than D&D since arguably 2000 or 2005 at the latest.

2005 Telling Time artwork, in style at least its very 5E. Compare with the cartoon WAR of 3.5 or 4E/Pathfinder in 2008/9 even.

View attachment 85879

The full colour 2E artwork was better than most of 3E and 4E efforts IMHO.

I'm going to print out this one anyway and might actually use it for an Egyptian themed AP as I have a few of the Lost Lands/Kobold Press adventures with that theme.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
I noticed with the Anubite people, they have a racial proficiency with the Khopesh... where do we go about finding the stats for that weapon? I'm assuming I'd just use Scimitar, but curious if anyone else has noticed this and had found a solution.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I noticed with the Anubite people, they have a racial proficiency with the Khopesh... where do we go about finding the stats for that weapon? I'm assuming I'd just use Scimitar, but curious if anyone else has noticed this and had found a solution.

In the PDF they mentioned using the stats of the longsword.

Henry

Autoexreginated

While I sympathize, I understand why they can do this, as well as invest in tons of art - Magic makes easily ten or twenty times the money that D& D does. (I was listening to Lisa Stevens in a PaizoCon seminar, and she said D&D probably made an average of 25 million dollars a year in her time at WotC, and 25 million dollars in a MONTH for Magic : the Gathering would have been considered a BAD month. :))

When one is rolling in cash, money is easier to spend on tie-in projects like Art Books and Free RPG PDFs.

Remove ads

Remove ads