Egyptian-themed D&D Setting with PLANE SHIFT: AMONKHET

According to http://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/07/04/dd-meets-amonkhet-magic-the-gathering-this-week/ Plane Shift: Amonkhet should come out this week. I'll be interested to see if it's more engaging than Kaladesh. I had high hopes for that - but as an adventuring world it seems a bit dull after Zendikar and Innistrad.

Anyone else notice that the Criosphinx appears to work perfectly as a standard D&D criosphinx updated for 5e?

So even if you don't use anything else, there's a new monster update. Since James Wyatt was heavily involved in the 5e MM creation, it may even have been created for the MM and cut for space.

gyor

Legend
While I sympathize, I understand why they can do this, as well as invest in tons of art - Magic makes easily ten or twenty times the money that D& D does. (I was listening to Lisa Stevens in a PaizoCon seminar, and she said D&D probably made an average of 25 million dollars a year in her time at WotC, and 25 million dollars in a MONTH for Magic : the Gathering would have been considered a BAD month. :))

When one is rolling in cash, money is easier to spend on tie-in projects like Art Books and Free RPG PDFs.

D&D makes 25 million a year and they still can't afford to make a Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide or something functionally like that? Bah!

Zardnaar

Legend
D&D doesn't make $25 million per year. The entire RPG market is only $25 million per year (at least as of 2015).

The 25 million was when Lisa Stevens was there, so 3E era.

Apparently D&D has made around a billion over 40 years so that is almost an average year.

TSR when they went under had higher revenue than that (40 million) but was losing money, In 83 they hit something like 20-27 million adjusted for inflation its in the 40-50 million range. 5E might make more money (AKA profit) on less turnover though IDK.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
*reads PDF*

So that's who Nicol Bolas is.

One of the guys in my group is a big Magic the Gathering fan, and every time the main DM pulls out the Tome of Beasts, said player freaks out that it will be the combat where the DM "finally sends Nicol Bolas to kill us."

Anyone else notice that the Criosphinx appears to work perfectly as a standard D&D criosphinx updated for 5e?

So even if you don't use anything else, there's a new monster update. Since James Wyatt was heavily involved in the 5e MM creation, it may even have been created for the MM and cut for space.

+1. There haven't been a lot of new monsters in the Planeshifts, but the ones they have provided have been pretty good. I also like the manticore (maybe thinking of it as a dire manticore or an Abyss touched one).

I would be cool if they decided to make the official 5e archons being redesigned along the lines of the archon of redemption from the first one (small guy riding flying hound, guy riding flying bear, guy riding flying bull [horn as approximation for trumpet], guy riding a big phoenix-like bird for tome), plus I like the notion that their abilities were a split between angels' and modrons' [assuming of course that they ever make archons for 5e.....].

Remove ads

Remove ads