Egyptian-themed D&D Setting with PLANE SHIFT: AMONKHET

Zarithar

Adventurer
If anyone from WoTC is paying attention... please take note. I will purchase a hardcover book collecting all of the MTG/D&D crossover material. Add maps. Consolidate the bestiary. Please make it so. I'm sure I am not alone.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I think this is probably my favorite of the Planeshifts. It's full of a lot of flavor, The pseudo Egyptian stuff can be pulled into a lot of settings, even FR.

I do think a few of the races are a little too powerful to be mixed with the regualr 5e races. The Hawkmen get +2 Dex +2 Wis, flight, and no disadvantage for long range. It outstrips other races by too much in my opinion. The Jackelmen get total immunity to frightened if they're twin is dead. The Naga get a handsfree grapple on a suped up unarmed attack. Oddly the Minotaur seems the weakest of the bunch, essentially a half-orc that trades Darkvison for horns (that are weaker than the Waterborne Adventure UA's Minotaur horns)

But honestly that's about all the complaining I got for what really is a nice bit of setting that I'll probably use.

Zardnaar

Legend
I think this is probably my favorite of the Planeshifts. It's full of a lot of flavor, The pseudo Egyptian stuff can be pulled into a lot of settings, even FR.

I do think a few of the races are a little too powerful to be mixed with the regualr 5e races. The Hawkmen get +2 Dex +2 Wis, flight, and no disadvantage for long range. It outstrips other races by too much in my opinion. The Jackelmen get total immunity to frightened if they're twin is dead. The Naga get a handsfree grapple on a suped up unarmed attack. Oddly the Minotaur seems the weakest of the bunch, essentially a half-orc that trades Darkvison for horns (that are weaker than the Waterborne Adventure UA's Minotaur horns)

But honestly that's about all the complaining I got for what really is a nice bit of setting that I'll probably use.

Its not really designed to be used with the PHB races. The domains for example seem heavily based off the PHB ones although strength and zeal are so good.

This is the best MTG tie in though they have done. A lt of worlds can use this because they have an Egyptian sub theme (Golarion, FR, Mystara, Lost Lands, Midgard).

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Its not really designed to be used with the PHB races. The domains for example seem heavily based off the PHB ones although strength and zeal are so good.

This is the best MTG tie in though they have done. A lt of worlds can use this because they have an Egyptian sub theme (Golarion, FR, Mystara, Lost Lands, Midgard).

I think your right.

Still wondering about that poor Minotaur though. If they were just going tweak one thing about an existing 5e race taking the Goliath and Trading stone's endurance for the Horn's would have been a better fit in my book.

But honestly I don't know much about MtG or Amonkeht. Maybe their Minotaurs are different than what I envision.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zardnaar

Legend
I think your right.

Still wondering about that poor Minotaur though. If they were just going tweak one thing about an existing 5e race taking the Goliath and Trading stone's endurance for the Horn's would have been a better fit in my book.

But honestly I don't know mush about MtG or Amonkeht. Maybe their Minotaurs are different than what I envision.

I'm 7 years out of date on mtg but their early minotaurs were basically AD&D ones.

Mtg races have a different vibe on what plane/setting they are from.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I wonder if they are going to do one of these plane shift documents for Theros. It's a greek-type setting with a host of gods that would probably translate quite well into D&D.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I wonder if they are going to do one of these plane shift documents for Theros. It's a greek-type setting with a host of gods that would probably translate quite well into D&D.

Only once there's an art book to accompany it. Given how quickly new planes are being released I'm wondering if they'll go back and visit?

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
They're going to have to go back to Theros at one point, given a certain character's death and how the mechanics of that plane handle beings of that level of power dying...

Remathilis

Legend
Too bad Ixlian is being released so late; Jungles, Dinosaurs, Pirates, and Treasure would be GREAT for Chult and a certain plane-hopping Lich...

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases