Egyptian-themed D&D Setting with PLANE SHIFT: AMONKHET

According to http://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/07/04/dd-meets-amonkhet-magic-the-gathering-this-week/ Plane Shift: Amonkhet should come out this week. I'll be interested to see if it's more engaging than Kaladesh. I had high hopes for that - but as an adventuring world it seems a bit dull after Zendikar and Innistrad.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Ixalan. I was running off memory.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/products/ixalan

Actually, it seems to sync the first part up with ToH (September), while the second will come in January. The art book drops in January as well, so I expect the PlaneShift will be available then.

This is what boggles my mind about WotC, they're doing double the work! They have these fantastical worlds they're creating for M:tG with an absolutely massive player base and they're only half-heartedly offering ways to translate them over to D&D. And on the D&D side they're getting yelled at to provide more setting variety (and for being stuck regurgitating the past).

I don't know why they're resisting the obvious synergies between the two...?

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
They have been resisting it since they acquired D&D for some reason.

There must be some fear of killing the goose laying the golden eggs. They probably don't understand why M:tG is so popular so they're scared to do anything that might change that :)

Remathilis

Legend
There must be some fear of killing the goose laying the golden eggs. They probably don't understand why M:tG is so popular so they're scared to do anything that might change that :)

More likely, they didn't want to mix brands because the two games have very different audiences. Believe me, the MTG discussion board is rife with "what WotC is doing wrong with Magic" discussions that, surprise surprise, sound a lot like the complaints we give them on D&D. (Emphasis on ongoing story/limited selection of characters, mechanic dilution, cost, power levels, and availability are all top complaints).

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
They're going to have to go back to Theros at one point, given a certain character's death and how the mechanics of that plane handle beings of that level of power dying...
I was reading the lore and apparently Elspeth is making her own mask of gold to return to the world of the living as one of the returned.

Li Shenron

Legend
I am not a MtG fan, but I am glad they're releasing these supplements! They are interesting regions that can be dropped into a homebrew fantasy setting, and they also come with a small bunch of "free crunch" like the 4 new domains and the monsters :)

Drunken_Ranger

First Post
Has anyone made their own map of Amonkhet. I've seen numerous home made maps of other MTG planes, but not this one. I am strictly a D&D player, and a blank slate on the Magic game. However, I find the Planeshift 5E materials very inspirational at a time when I very much need something new.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Has anyone made their own map of Amonkhet. I've seen numerous home made maps of other MTG planes, but not this one. I am strictly a D&D player, and a blank slate on the Magic game. However, I find the Planeshift 5E materials very inspirational at a time when I very much need something new.

There was some discussion earlier in the thread. Basically as Amonkhet is based on ancient Egypt, a map of ancient Egypt (or Mesopotamia, another river reliant culture) with the serial numbers ground off should suffice. Amonkhet makes most sense if it’s plugged into an existing setting as it doesn’t define an entire world (same problem for Kaladesh IMO).

Remove ads

Remove ads