D&D 5E Eladrin question

gyor

Legend
I agree and its the same for Deurgar, Genasi, Gnomes, Drow, Aasimar, Tieflings which all get innate "spells".

unfortunitely it should have been made clear that racial spells don't require spell compenents, so that was pooched.

The one exception to my mind is the High Elf, one gets the feeling that they're cantrip comes from training and a natural talent for wizardy, the same way that they have skill with the long bow, instead of it being a manifestation of innate magical abilities.

pdegan2814

First Post
The one exception to my mind is the High Elf, one gets the feeling that they're cantrip comes from training and a natural talent for wizardy, the same way that they have skill with the long bow, instead of it being a manifestation of innate magical abilities.

Yeah, the High Elf one is a bit different from the others, but a lot of the rules complications are avoided by the fact that it's a cantrip and thus can be cast without worrying about spell slots or number of uses per short/long rest. The fact that they restrict it to the Wizard list and designate Intelligence as the spellcasting ability does lead me towards your interpretation of it. Basically, all High Elves receive at least a little bit of Wizardly training, and start off with a sort of "quarter-level in Wizard"-ish which gives them that one Cantrip.

Not per the rules, but if you're the DM, go for it! I gave the tiefling warlock Hellish Rebuke and Darness as additional spells known, and it's worked fine. 5th edition has a more relaxed balance than 3rd/4th.

Remove ads