D&D 5E Eladrin question

kelnas

Explorer
For an Eladrin wizard that reaches third level, should Misty Step become a known spell (i.e. inscribable into the spellbook) automatically? It seems that if the character can cast it as a racial feature, he or she should be able to replicate it as a class spell it without having to use a spell choice on it or find a scroll. I could see the view that it is more of an innate racial ability and casting the spell is a completely different matter, but that doesn't seem quite right. Any guidance on this or similar scenarios for other races?

The spells granted as racial features specifically say you can cast the spell--not that you learn or know it. Contrast this with the Magic Initiate feature that specifically says you learn and can cast a spell.

So in your situation, no they can't use spell slots to cast the spell, and they don't "know" it in the normal sense. Think of it more like a spell-like ability (if you are familiar with 3e), though they still have to provide any components unless otherwise stated.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Technically no.

Thematically, and for your own game, sure, why not. Best not to get caught up on fiddly little things. I used to. I now say "Yes" and "Sure" and "Why not?" more often. If you are the GM and don't see it as a prob, go for it.

(Of course I make all my rulings based upon the fact I have NEVER played organised play and never will, so I make calls for my game all the time without the consequences of OP).

MarkB

Legend
To me, a racial spell-like ability is just that - it's a natural ability which is sufficiently similar in effect to a particular spell that we use the spell to represent it. It is not any form of actual spellcasting.

An eladrin wizard could no more automatically learn Misty Step than a dwarven wizard could automatically learn to cast Darkvision.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
This is one of those situations where the story and fluff of the game world is dropped a little bit in the name of game mechanic simplicity.

Eladrin don't really know the spell 'Misty Step'. Instead, they have a special eladrin ability to teleport called 'Fey Step' which mechanically matches the same ability spellcasters can do that they have called 'Misty Step'. So while the game uses the spell 'Misty Step' as a shorthand to describe what 'Fey Step' does... the two are not one and the same. And for the sake of the story of the world... calling the feature 'Fey Step' and describing how it occurs and is used should really be done differently by the eladrin player than how the wizard player would describe what happens when they Misty Step.

It's the same thing that occurs with Warlocks. They have all these invocations to their patrons whose mechanics match the spells that clerics and wizards have... but those invocations really aren't spells. Invocations and spells should really be considered, run, and described completely differently. Otherwise, all the flavor of being a warlock just goes away and you end up being nothing but just another magic-user.

Now perhaps this is just a personal bugaboo on my part... but if you're a warlock with Eldritch Sight... but when you use that invocation you say 'I cast Detect Magic'... you fundimentally are destroying the fluff and story of your own class. Because you aren't casting Detect Magic, you're using your Eldritch Sight. Yeah, the rules the DM has to use to adjudicate that are exactly the same... but the story of what your character is doing is different. If you chose to play the fluff-heavy Warlock class... then to my mind, you should and would play up that fluff that makes you different than any other regular magic-user, even if mechanically the rules are run the same way.

But again... maybe that's just my own hang-up.

pdegan2814

First Post
I would let an eladrin wizard research Misty Step at half the cost or less.

This sounds like a pretty good compromise. Keep the restriction of the Eladrin's racial ability, but acknowledge that because they have an innate understanding of the fundamental effect the spell is trying to achieve, they're able to pick it up faster than the average Wizard. Heck, perhaps the original author of the spell way back in days of yore created it specifically to replicate the Eladrin's natural ability. :)

kelnas

Explorer
I agree with pretty much all these posts -- the racial feature is not intended to confer knowledge of the spell to a Wizard, but it also seems like it is not unbalancing and makes some sense to allow if a DM wants. Perhaps what trips me up most is the wording in the DMG. The feature actually says "you can cast the misty step spell" which makes it seem redundant to have to go find or buy the spell to actually use your Wizard spellcasting ability to cast it. Thanks everyone who answered my question.

Remove ads