Elder Red Dragon preview is up

UHF

First Post
I love it...

I feel that when they first came out with 4e, that they brought with it, too much old baggage. Monsters were the same as before, but by 4e terms they were weaker.

This dragon is going to be hard to kill, and on the battlefield is going to be way more exciting to see in action. Action recovery means he'll impossible to shut down, and Bloodied Breath will make him way more dynamic in battle.

Long gone are the days of claw claw bite.

Stalker0

Legend
The dragon definitely doesn't suffer from the same pains he once did...though they took out my favorite part of the dragon...the fact that it could strip away fire resistance.

One wizard's mass resistance spell really cuts out a huge portion of the dragon's damage.

Also have grab rules changed in the essentials?

It used to be the player had the option of athletics or acrobatics vs the creature's fort or reflex (respectively). Now its a set DC?

mageta80

First Post
Also have grab rules changed in the essentials?

It used to be the player had the option of athletics or acrobatics vs the creature's fort or reflex (respectively). Now its a set DC?

Rules compendium says that unless its a set DC, its still an opposed check vs Fort/Refl.

So, yeah, I suppose stealth change.

Mesh Hong

First Post
When I clicked on the link I was quite excited, when I read the dragon I was quite dissapointed.

It's essentially the same (you see what I did there? ;)) with the curious ommission of Frightful Presence. Have things degenerated so far that even dragons cannot have an encounter stun power? Surely dragons are scarey enough to cause even the occasional hardened adventurer to stand and stare slack jawed at their hideous majesty for a coupel of seconds?

I think I like the idea of giving a set DC for escape from grab because using the Fort/Ref of a monster at epic can be a really big problem for a lot of PCs who have a zero chance of making the roll. But I think that having two different DCs is a bit unnecessary, its interesting but in the heat of combat it would probably be easier to just have the same DC.

The half damage on a miss with imolate foe is a good addition and helps balance its usefulnes.

The Tail Strike is a bit strange, they obviously didn't want to give it threatening reach so they devised a mini threatening reach.

vagabundo

Adventurer
I really like it; it is awesomely simple, yet very dangerous and interesting at the same time.

<3 the new stat blocks; very easy to read.
<3 the dragons powers; they look dangerous and chocked full of story.
<3 the new solo design; what solos should have been.

As some of the posters mentioned I'd like a wet me pants power from Dragons - they are the iconic foe in the game, if anyone was to get stun/dazes then it should be them.

And a flyby attack. That is how I imagine dragons would work.

Easy to readd with the MB I suppose. :D

Remove ads