D&D 5E Eldritch Blast and Repelling Blast - One time or Each Hit?

Stalker0

Legend
If I were to hit a single target with 3 beams of an eldritch blast that has the repelling blast invocation, would they get knocked back 10 feet (one time) or 30 feet (3 times)?

Shiroiken

Legend
I'm pretty sure by RAW and RAI it would be each time. I don't have my PHB handy, and don't recall any Sage Advice on it. The DM could rule otherwise, but I'd have it work for each.

MarkB

Legend
I tend to agree that it would be each blast. The wording is "when you hit", and you hit each time you make a successful attack roll.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I have house ruled that something like repelling blast, frost lance, and grasp of hadar works on each blast, but no more than once per target. That way the battlefied control of the invocations doesn't get out of control.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I have house ruled that something like repelling blast, frost lance, and grasp of hadar works on each blast, but no more than once per target. That way the battlefied control of the invocations doesn't get out of control.
Grasp of Hadar only works once per turn.

FarBeyondC

Explorer
If I were to hit a single target with 3 beams of an eldritch blast that has the repelling blast invocation, would they get knocked back 10 feet (one time) or 30 feet (3 times)?

Assuming the target is still in range after getting knocked back by the first hit, they'd get knocked back by the second. If the target's still in range after getting knocked back by the second hit, they'd get knocked back by the third. And so on.

Which means, to answer your question, the single target hit by 3 beams of eldritch blast (affected by the repelling blast invocation) would get knocked back 30 feet.

clearstream

(He, Him)
My game ran a couple of years and had two warlocks, who took and used extensively repelling blast. We all agreed (i.e. the players themselves felt) that repel per beam reduced the fun. We tried one repel per entity (so a warlock could knock back three entities by splitting beams, or direct all beams at one entity and knock them back once). That worked okay.

EDIT FWIW I believe the RAW entails one knock back per blast, and I am saying that I found that from extensive play over-tuned.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases