• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Eldritch Kinight and somatic components

Pickaxe

Explorer
I'm unsure of how an Eldritch Knight using a shield operates with spells with somatic components and would appreciate advice.

If I'm an Eldritch Knight without the War Caster feat with a one-handed weapon and a shield and I want to cast the shield spell, I need a free hand for the somatic components. Does my hand need to be free when I use my reaction, or can I drop my weapon and cast the spell as part of my reaction? And does this issue make War Caster pretty much mandatory for EKs with a shield?

Thanks for the help!

--Axe

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
How strictly the table is going to adhere to stating which hands are doing what is going to differ from table to table.

At my own table, you'd have nothing to worry about because I don't care about tracking the minutia of what is or isn't in your hand at any given second (your character could easily toss their weapon up in the air, cast shield, and catch their weapon). I'm okay with that because there is still a cost to casting shield in that it uses your reaction for the round so you won't be doing anything else like making an opportunity attack or casting counterspell or feather fall.

At other tables, you might have to carefully plan out sheathing your weapon as part of your attack action (as your free object interaction mentioned by the rules) in order to have your hand free.

So ask your DM, see what their thoughts are on the matter.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads