• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eldritch Knight, Effective or Defective?

Arc

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
Then there's a PrC in one of the Eberron books, might be Explorer's Handbook or Five Nations, that gets 1d8, some special abilities, and I think spellcasting at every level.
That's the Knight Phantom. It's pretty sweet, and I think a better fit than the EK for the archetype.

The fighter/mage combo is finally useable in 3.x, and has been done well quite a few ways. Even at low levels, with the right spell selection, they're very well balanced against most classes. I played a dwarf fighter/wizard for a few levels (meant to go into Runesmith, sadly, he died), and with liberal use of Fist of Stone and other self-buffs, he was very effetive.

Thanee

First Post
Not really, actually. The Warmage basically only uses offensive spells in combat, while the EK is more of a mix between weapon-use and spell-use (spells are therefore best used to enhance the weapon-use, i.e. buff spells).

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
Warmage/Spellsword works better, but still not as good as (Sorcerer/Wizard)/Spellsword or (Sorcerer/Wizard)/Eldritch Knight. The Warmage simply isn't as suited for weapon-use, because of the lack of supportive spells.

Bye
Thanee

KarinsDad

Adventurer
IndyPendant said:
Full-out Gish:
Paladin 2/Sorceror 4/Spellsword 5/Eldritch Knight 9.

The best WotC-only Gish-build possible, currently. Can't really be primary caster though, as you've lost a total of 5 caster levels.

I have a player whose PC is currently:

Fighter 2/Sorceror 4/Spellsword 4

I suspect he is going for:

Fighter 2/Sorceror 4/Spellsword 5/Eldritch Knight 9

I think this type of build (but with Paladin for Divine Grace) is preferable if you want to be a combatant type who can cast spells.

20th level:

BAB 16, 7th level spells, +13 Fort, +5 Reflex, +11 Will (plus Divine Grace bonus)

If you want to be a spell caster who can fight, I think that the following build is better:

Fighter 1/Sorcerer 6/Spellsword 1/Eldritch Knight 10/Sorcerer +2 (or some other PrC)

20th level:

BAB 15, 9th level spells, +13 Fort, +5 Reflex, +11 Will

The downside of this second build is that you cannot wear heavier armor, even Mithril, without the spell failure chance. However, you can wear a magical Mithral Chain Shirt and carry a magical Large Shield and still have a pretty good AC (better than a Fighter using a bow or a two handed weapon). Throw a single spell like Mirror Image or Greater Invisibility on top of that and the PC is both an effective Fighter and an effective spellcaster.

Not the best spell caster in the group giving up two levels of spell casting ability, but solid.

brehobit

Explorer
Arc said:
That's the Knight Phantom. It's pretty sweet, and I think a better fit than the EK for the archetype.

The fighter/mage combo is finally useable in 3.x, and has been done well quite a few ways. Even at low levels, with the right spell selection, they're very well balanced against most classes. I played a dwarf fighter/wizard for a few levels (meant to go into Runesmith, sadly, he died), and with liberal use of Fist of Stone and other self-buffs, he was very effetive.
Isn't the Knight Phantom strictly an improvement on the EK? I guess you give up a bonus feat, but you get a huge amount back... Not sure I buy that it is balanced.

Thanee

First Post
It has more strict requirements, though, especially for a spontaneous caster having to know Phantom Steed, when you essentially never need it after getting into the class (but cannot drop it, since you lose the PrC benefits then), is not so great and Still Spell is also mostly wasted.

In addition, the PrC is open only to very few individuals, who can fulfill this:

Special: Citizen of Aundair, member of the Order of the Knights Arcane.

Bye
Thanee

Thanee said:
In addition, the PrC is open only to very few individuals, who can fulfill this:

Special: Citizen of Aundair, member of the Order of the Knights Arcane.

Bye
Thanee

As a DM I would probably read this to mean "Yeah, this PrC is more powerful that EK. Its made for yous guys that think the EK was underpowered, but you can only use it if your DM says its okay." I'm fine with that.

As a brief aside, this is the first D+D product I've seen Bill Slavicsek working on (I don't normally pay that close of attention to such things). Did West End Games get sucked into WotC when they switched Star Wars to the D20 system?

DanMcS

Explorer
Deset Gled said:
As a brief aside, this is the first D+D product I've seen Bill Slavicsek working on (I don't normally pay that close of attention to such things). Did West End Games get sucked into WotC when they switched Star Wars to the D20 system?

He's been doing work for TSR, and then Wizards, for years. Did a lot of stuff for Alternity in the late 90s.

http://www.pen-paper.net/rpgdb.php?op=showcreator&creatorid=96

Don't know if most of that is as a freelancer or what, but lately, "Director of RPG R&D" sounds like he's there full time, and a big product list there.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads