Eldritch Strike

garyh

First Post
So I was playing with the just-updated Character Builder and I saw the new warlock at will, Eldritch Strike, from the minis cards. It looks like a cool power, and it sort of looks like it would be something that you could chose instead of Eldritch Blast (named Eldritch ___, can use Con or Cha, can be a basic attack), but the Character Builder doesn't let you do that. So, near as I can tell, it's a power only for human warlocks, who get to choose an at will besides Eldritch Blast and their pact at will. However, that doesn't make much sense either.

Can anyone offer any illumination, perhaps if they have the card the power came from handy?

Oh, and the CB doesn't let me actually choose Con or Cha when I take ES, either. So maybe the power just has issues with the CB in general...

EDIT: Oh, yeah... the math is figured using Con to attack, but Cha for damage. So that's odd, too.

Last edited:

garyh

First Post
Well, at least their working on it. Thanks!

I still wonder if it's supposed to be an option instead of Eldritch Blast, though. Anyone know about that?

My human warlock would be just fine keeping to Hellish Rebuke and Dire Radiance for ranged at wills, and be very happy to swap E-Blast for E-Strike to give himself a melee option.

Obryn

Hero
Well, at least their working on it. Thanks!

I still wonder if it's supposed to be an option instead of Eldritch Blast, though. Anyone know about that?

My human warlock would be just fine keeping to Hellish Rebuke and Dire Radiance for ranged at wills, and be very happy to swap E-Blast for E-Strike to give himself a melee option.
Well, you can always force it with the little Houserule button. :) That's what I'd do... And what I actually do for my Free Expertise houserule.

IMHO, it's pretty clear that Eldritch Strike should be able to substitute for Eldritch Blast, because ... well, what's the point of making a power that's only available to humans?

I can't help you on the stat modifiers, though. :) That's ... unusual.

(I can't look up the power here at work - but is it substantially different from just taking Melee Training with Cha or Con? If not, why not just keep Eldritch Blast for the occasional resistant foe, and spend a feat instead?)

-O

garyh

First Post
ES counts as a basic melee attack, and lets you slide the target one square on a hit. So it's more than just Melee Training in power form.

Remove ads