ELEMENTAL EVIL Player's Companion - FREE!

The Elemental Evil Player's Companion is available for free download over at DTRPG (and RPGNow). It includes new races (aarakocra, deep gnome, genasi, and goliath) and ove 40 new spells. The PDF is a full-colour 25-page PDF; according to the first page, the genasi in chapter 1 and all of the spells in chapter 2 also appear in the appendices of Princes of the Apocalypse, the adventure due to hit store shelves very soon.

The Elemental Evil Player's Companion is available for free download over at DTRPG (and RPGNow). It includes new races (aarakocra, deep gnome, genasi, and goliath) and ove 40 new spells. The PDF is a full-colour 25-page PDF; according to the first page, the genasi in chapter 1 and all of the spells in chapter 2 also appear in the appendices of Princes of the Apocalypse, the adventure due to hit store shelves very soon.

"Not inherently evil, elemental power can be mastered by those with both malevolent and benign intentions. The Elemental Evil Player’s Companion provides everything players need to build a character that is tied directly into the Elemental Evil storyline.

New race options include the aarakocra, deep gnome, genasi, and goliath. Additionally, a plethora of new spells put the elements directly at your command.

The Elemental Evil Player’s Companion, was original designed by Richard Baker, Robert J. Schwalb and Stephen Schubert, with additional design and development by Wizards D&D R&D.

This accessory is specifically meant to support the Elemental Evil–Princes of the Apocalypse adventure product."

145542.jpg

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Races are pretty solid! Though I still prefer the "beautiful plumage" art of the aarakocra, I suppose that image is just an internet search away, and the critters are recognizably aarakocra, despite all the additional story details about elemental earth and the wind dukes of aaqa that I'm a little "meh" on.

Spells look curious. A lot of damaging and elemental spells, perhaps as would be expected. The returns of some old favorites, too.

Looks like fun!

I've got a feeling that the "no new cleric spells" thing is intentional, thanks to "clerics know every spell on their spell list." It didn't totally stop druids, but they did create a "druids aren't going to get every spell on this list added to their own spell list automatically" warning.

And REALLY SOLID art. Even with uggo tieflings and eagle-aarakocra. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Chimpy

First Post
Yeah I guess an elemental warlock might have been quite nice. I think the cleric has enough build options as it is already!

delericho

Legend
One thing I'm sorry not to see (though it's a small thing): Some sample backgrounds/bonds/etc.

"Hoard of the Dragon Queen" had a few of these in a single-page appendix at the end, and they're generally a good idea - a way to tie any PC into the storyline of the adventure.

Of course, it's entirely possible that the adventure itself will include these. And in any case they're a nice-to-have, not a requirement.

meomwt

First Post
They have the usual fun "small print" bit on page 2.

Disclaimer: For safe utilization of elemental magic, remember the following guidelines. You can drink water but not fire. You can breathe air but not earth. You can walk on earth but not on
water (unless you have the right pair of boots or spell). You can do a lot of things with fire, but almost all of them are bad ideas.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Some good spells in there, bit worried about power creep, but on the whole I like to have more options than less.

I cant see myself using any of the races.

Wolfskin

Explorer
Nice! I wonder if some of the new player options will be eventually printed in some other sourcebook (didn't Goliaths first appear in Dark Sun?)

Klaus

First Post
Nice! I wonder if some of the new player options will be eventually printed in some other sourcebook (didn't Goliaths first appear in Dark Sun?)

No, goliaths were created for the 3.5 sourcebook Races of Stone. Dark Sun had half-giants, but these were much larger and stronger.

Ramaster

Adventurer
We got freacking AARAKOCRAS as player races and not Aasimars?!

One would have thought that WoTC had their double A priorities straight. ...snip...

Mod Edit: Sorry, but no politics, even as jokes. ~Umbran

Last edited by a moderator:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads