Elementalism Feat

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Interesting thesis.

Doesn't water dilute acid?

I wasn't going for such an elaborate structure, but your points about bludgeoning are very relevant. It was more of; where do the energy types already in d&d fall in a classic Greek sense. (I know, I left out aether)

Tossed lightning in with Air, because of storms. Put cold with water due to ice, and well, put acid with earth because acid is made of base compounds.

But as you say, it is true that acids contain at least one hydrogen atom....so...I might revisit that.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I don't recommend letting it apply to spells. Do you really want a player turning a 5th level spell into a 9th level for free?

Yes, once a day, representing a surge of elemental power. I am pretty content with that part, as it is very similar to the 2e version of the ability. (also once a day).

edited: And functionally, they will only be able to get 9th level spell power 25% of the time (1d4), so on average, once every four days?

Of course with my players luck...

The fact of the matter is that an ability like that should not be a feat property, or at the very least, be the only property of the feat and the feat should have special prerequisites. If it was a mid-high level class archetype ability, that'd be fine, because it'd require extensive investment to reach.

spanglemaker

First Post
That's a real super powered Feat, interesting concept but would seem to fit the Order of Elementalists or Elementalist School as Features. I also don't think the barred opposite elemental works. A Fire Mage with advantage on their Firebolt cantrip or Fireball spell works, I would suggest that they receive disadvantage on defending against spells of the opposite element. This way the onus is on the DM to challenge the Fire Mage who may even have a rivalry with a NPC Frost Mage or Frost Sorceress.

For that 1d4 boost, I could suggest that there are limits with it. You roll at the beginning of your day and get a boost of 1d4, which is your total boost for that day.
You roll a 4, then you could spend it in one go and cast Thunderwave as a 5th level spell or you could split that 4, maybe do Thunderwave at 4 and then 2. The limit I would propose us that it cannot be used to boost a spell beyond 5th level or be used on 5th level spells. You may or may not like this, but it's an interesting option and seems to fit in with 5th level being the sweet spot of magic now in D&D, it also means that the Elementalist has a degree of control over their power.

An alternate idea could be to check out the possibility of giving the Elementalist a small amount of Sorcery, giving them some limited power points and very limited meta magic. This could be an interesting experiment.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I have realized after reading inputs that the 2e version raised the caster level by 1d4, and with my 5e version, I am raising the spell level 1d4. This seemed intuitive at first as that is how 5e varies the power of spells. But is definitely a larger ratio of boost than I thought.

So I might incorporate some of the ideas posted above, or just let them boost one spell level higher. Which could be problematic as I think some spell's damage changes at different levels, i.e. fireball changes by 1d6 for every slot above 3rd, but flame blade changes at every other level above 4th, causing a one spell level bump to be useless.

Maybe just a generic statement like: "Once a day you can cast a spell of your element at the next highest level of effect".

Hmmmm. Let me go reread sorcery points. Maybe they could get one.

mellored

Legend
IMO:

You learn 1 spell related to your element, you always have it prepared. You learn an additional spell at level 11. You can only learn a spell of which you have a spell slot for.
Choose and learn one cantrip associated with your element.
You have advantage on saving throws versus spells of your chosen element.
Once per long rest, you may cast a spell of that element 1 spell level higher then the slot you used.

mellored, wouldn't that be too strong? I could understand learning a cantrip and getting the advantage on saves, but all of that together seems way too strong. I'd say learning the cantrip, getting advantage on saves against the type, and the once/long rest ability all together would make a reasonable feat.

Remove ads