"Elements of Magic" and other systems

netnomad

Explorer
How about certain skills give bonus MP or a skill that gives bonus MP?

If you don't want a new skill you can use concentration as a way to get back MP that have been used since the PC enters a meditate state. You need to mediate for 1 hour but depending on the DC on the DC determines how many MP you get back. For example a DC 15 will get you 5mp, a DC 20 will get you 10 MP, a DC 25 will get you 15, etc...

If you want a new skill you can call it Reverie. Each rank in it gives you the mage class level in MP back per hour if you make a Skill Check DC 15. For each 5 over you make the check you get a +1 MP back. This skill has a synergy with Concentration +1 for very 5 points in Concentration.

Now this was from the top of my head and will most likely have to be tweaked a bit but hopefully you get the picture.

-NetNomad

Phaedrus

First Post
yep, Estimated Time of Arrival.

(Sorry, work for an Acronym-obsessed company and forget that not everyone is as crazy as we are...)

I'm going to do a campaign with only 2 PC's, a Fighter-type and a Mage. I want to use EoM to combine the cleric/wizard into one character...

I'm sorry for the near complete lack of replies. My computer's internet died, and now even after I've reinstalled everything it's still giving me troubles, so I can only access the internet from the library, where they don't let you bring disks. So I can't upload anything to show you guys. I'm hoping to get this fixed ASAP, but if I can't, I'll hopefully be able to find a friend who'll let me use his computer for a few hours.

Phaedrus, assuming I can get my computer up and on the web, I can send you a draft of the rules. We haven't gotten to layout yet, but I can show you the raw text. Send me an email, and hopefully I'll be able to get it to you by mid-week.

So yeah, my computer's ethernet should be working as far as anyone knows. Even the official computer folks at my university think everything should be working fine.

So as soon as I make sure all the necessary (read: urgent) files for ENWorld Player's Journal 4 are available online for my coworkers, I'll be able to start copying EOM to floppies and working on it on public terminals. Not ideal, but I should be able to put up Move for you this Saturday.

gpetruc

First Post
Do I need to get the original Elements of Magic PDF before and the then revision, or there will be a self-sufficient revised PDF ?
After reading the preview I immediatly added this to my "to buy" list, it's really cool and well done !

I just hope it comes out early

It would be nice to have also a "skill only" system, without MP (a la Ars Magica, for a high magic world) ... but probably it is asking too much.

Charles Gray

First Post
ETA date and OGL material.

Hi!
Two quick questions-- well, two and half. First of all, will the new elements of magic include more material than the first edition + the upgrade? I'm not upset-- infact from the released material you've made a great deal of changes, far more than say, 3.5 (cough cough), D&D, so I'd be perfectly willing to buy the second edition outright.
Secondly, do you have any "in thius month it'll be out" date? THe reason is quite simple, I work in comics and we have a comic coming out that is going to have a game tie in, and when I bought the first edition, I knew what I wanted to use for its magic system. However, the second edition sounds like it's greatly improved, so I was thinking of waiting for it.

Thank you,

PS: When the OGL license was first created, this was the sort of thing I'd hoped we'd see more of-- systems building off of the D20 system, but making thier original contributions to it. This is hands down, one of the best PDF products I have ever bought, and also probably among the top five or six rules sets for D20, in print or otherwise.
Also, extra points for using the bookmark feature of Acrobat-- I don't know why so many PDF publishers leave that feature unused.
Good work, and thanks!

Remove ads