• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

WOIN Elements of Magic as a replacement for tech in a Space Fantasy campaign

Wandering

Villager
Elements of Magic is really flexible and I have been wanting to do a space fantasy campaign where technology is mostly magical devices. Has anyone tried using a modified version of Elements of Magic as a basis for magical artifice "technology"? The structure and ability to cost out different effects makes it really tempting to me as a unified system for personal, device, and vehicle based magical effects.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It would work very well; it's simply "reflavouring" spells. I think the only danger there is that if you use that points system to create an "at-will" device you've effectively given somebody infinite MP. You'd need to limit the use of the items; possibly through some kind of arcane battery which recharges itself once per day? (You'd have to make sure PCs couldn't just buy dozens of batteries though).

Wandering

Villager
I am also thinking of "casting stations" on spaceships. They would allow a caster to have their normally personal level spells work in space combat. Yes, this is heavily influenced by Glynn Stewart's "Starship's Mage" series.

Advertisement