Elements of Magic Cover

lol, I can't believe there's this much discussion going on. Let's talk about a cover I helped with:

I did the city skyline. :)

Attachments

• fctf_cover.jpg
    fctf_cover.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 169

ToddSchumacher

I like to draw!
I'd second the opinion that I think most 3rd party art is, at best, subpar. But the old addage applies, you get what you pay for. I guess I shouldn't talk...these guys are published...and I am not. But then I'm not trying very hard either ;)

But, Blue drow?

tensen

First Post
ToddSchumacher said:
I'd second the opinion that I think most 3rd party art is, at best, subpar. But the old addage applies, you get what you pay for. I guess I shouldn't talk...these guys are published...and I am not. But then I'm not trying very hard either ;)

But, Blue drow?

You get what you pay for does not apply at all to art, nor to writing. You can get some stunning work for free. And not so good work for really expensive prices.

Dark Quest pays pretty competitive rates for work...in fact I've been told I pay higher than some of the major companies.

Its a matter of taste actually. We enjoy very much the work we put out. And I dislike some of the art that WOTC uses...but they seem to like it.

Blacksad

Explorer
RangerWickett said:
lol, I can't believe there's this much discussion going on. Let's talk about a cover I helped with:

I did the city skyline. :)

I don't like the style(sorry), though the proportion seems accurate.

Something that would have made the cover cooler (IMHO), would have been a gradual transition (blur?) with where each character drawing are cut and the backround (or the other character).

and I like the city skyline:p

Wolvorine

First Post
3rd party art

I won't go so far as to say I think all 3rd party art is fabulous (or even exceptionally good for that matter), but most 3rd party publishers seem to be hiring previously 'undiscovered talent', and some of that talent is at least as good as the 'established talent'.
This is the pitfall of using unestablished talent, you must wade through hundreds of people who's mother told them they were great before you find someone who's mother was right. *chuckles*
I have to give Dark Quest serious kudos for doing everything they can to make every book as good as it can be. I know that both Gillian (DQG's delightful AD, and regular DQG artist) and myself push ourselves as hard as we can to give Tensen the best art possible to go with those books. Heck, I'm taking a break at this very moment from the 3rd final draft of an illo. for Enchanters before I start the 3rd final draft for another.
And as Tensen pointed out (as have many others, on many occasions), people's tastes vary widely, which is both blessing and bane.
The really hard part is to take a good look at an illo. done in a style you dislike, and try to see where the technique itself is solid. I don't like the style of the Elements of Magic cover (and 4CTF), but stylistic preference aside they are well-done illos, and stand strongly. The proportions are good, the stances, posing, and positioning are good, and within the artist's own style, everything is pretty much dead-on. They have a nice internal consistency.
I guess the basic point is, yes there's a lo of garbage being put out, but there's some fabulous 'uncut gems', too. I think it's a good trade-off (but then again, it's gotten me published, hehe).

Remove ads