Elements of Magic

Dark Psion

First Post
Are you going to give all skills this treatment?

I have been thinking that a collected book of skills, with all of the "new uses of old skills" would be nice, but your "magic use" is even nicer.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Darnit, something ELSE to spend my lunch money on!

I'm gonna starve, Morrus, I SWEAR IT!

(looks down)

well, maybe not...

Thanks, CyberZombie! I look forward to a magic system like this. it sounds VERY reminiscent of the magi in Gary Gygax's Dangerous Journeys system...

And by the way, congratulations on your new arrival! I hope mother and child are both healthy and happy.

tensen

First Post
Cyberzombie said:
Howdy! I have been summoned. :D

I will be sending preview information to Morrus ASAP. My wife just had a baby two weeks ahead of schedule, so it will take a bit. I'll also post the info in this thread so you can get advanced teasers. I should be able to post the first teaser Sunday or Monday.

Hey congrats on the baby.

Cyberzombie

Explorer
Dark Psion: I don't have all the skills expanded to include magical uses -- just the skills that directly affect magic, such as alchemy, scry, and spellcraft -- but I could do that if it proves popular enough.

Henry: Hmm. I knew it had similarities to ICE's Chartmaster system, but not Dangerous Journeys. Of course, I've never looked at DJ, so that might be why...

Henry, Tensen: Thanks! :D

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Question on Multiclassing

Question on the new book here for Cyberzombie (and I'm definitely buying, it looks great!):

Do the new rules support multiclassing between the different casting classes better than the standard rules? Some kind of synergy between the classes, so that a Black Mage5/White Mage 5 is a fairly viable choice, as opposed to a Black Mage10? I miss being able to play a cleric/wizard that's actually useful at higher levels.

Thanks in advance, and congratulations!

Cyberzombie

Explorer
Thanks, TwoSix!

The rules very much support the multiclassing you've been wishing for. A black mage 5/white mage 5 under my system would have the same number of magic points and be able to cast the same level of spells (5th) as a black mage 10. The difference would be that the pure black mage would know only black spell lists, while the black/white mage would know some of each.

So you can have great depth in black magic, or some black and some white, as you choose. The only limit on your character is that you would probably run into multiclassing problems if you want to add more base classes. It goes very much against the way they have the Core classes set up, but that was one of the intentions of the project.

Tsyr

Explorer
How about the "standby" and "utility" type spells? Do they still exist in any form?

Some specific examples I'm thinking of include:

Teleport
Dimension Door
Fly
Knock
Know Alignment

etc?

If not, can we look forward to an expansion?

mroberon1972

First Post
Power levels?

Does its power levels balance with 3rd edition's normal magic system? Can both be used in the same system without someone getting thier tail handed to them? I only ask because I love the confusion a new type of magic does to my game... And my players!

Cyberzombie

Explorer
Tsyr: Fly is covered by the initial book. The others will be in an expansion, which I have partially written. (Well, except "know alignment", since they've removed that from 3e.)

Razuur: You are justified in not being patient. I will have it out asap. Less than two weeks, hopefully less than a week, even more hopefully by Sunday.

mroberon1972: It is designed to match the balance of the normal 3e system. I went to a lot of trouble to get it to balance out. It won't be totally perfect, but nothing ever is. :D

You could use it with the standard magic system, with one change. Sorcerers and bards have to spend a full round casting a spell that is modified by metamagic feats. If you use tEoM mages with standard spellcasters, you would want them to also spend a full round casting metamagic modified spells. (When the EoM system is used by itself, metamagic spells do not take longer to cast.) Other than that, it should work fine.

Remove ads