• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elevation Bonus. Does it Exist?

Thunt

First Post
We've been using this rule for so long, that I can't remember if it's from a text or if it's simply a house rule we made up years ago.

Attacking from above your opponent gives a +1 to hit.

Anyone else ever heard of this rule, or is it just us? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks.

Shallown

First Post
Though this should be in rules

Quoted from SRD
On higher ground +1 +0

+1 for melee
+0 for ranged

Listed on combat modifiers list

Later

diaglo

Adventurer
Thunt said:
We've been using this rule for so long, that I can't remember if it's from a text or if it's simply a house rule we made up years ago.

Attacking from above your opponent gives a +1 to hit.

Anyone else ever heard of this rule, or is it just us? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks.
Originally appeared in Chainmail.

it has always been a part of D&D.

Warbringer

Explorer
And for those that play Star Wars, who would have thought that a persky elevation bonus would be so devastating.

"I have the higher ground, you cannot beat my +1 bonus"

Ambrus

Explorer
Warbringer said:
"I have the higher ground, you cannot beat my +1 bonus"
I'm guessing that Obi Wan bought a special 'higher ground' feat tree long ago and is so happy that he finally gets to use it in this big fight that he can't help bragging about it: "I have Improved High-ground Defense, you can't beat me Anakin!"

genshou

First Post
Ambrus said:
I'm guessing that Obi Wan bought a special 'higher ground' feat tree long ago and is so happy that he finally gets to use it in this big fight that he can't help bragging about it: "I have Improved High-ground Defense, you can't beat me Anakin!"
Sorry to derail from humor, but I believe in that case it was the fact that Anakin had to jump farther than Obi-Wan to find safe footing, and in so doing he provoked an attack of opportunity. Which Obi-Wan obviously succeeded to deal wound damage on.

genshou

First Post
Another thing that higher ground does is give a +2 bonus to Spot checks to notice approaching creatures (hence the popularity of watch towers).

genshou said:
Sorry to derail from humor, but I believe in that case it was the fact that Anakin had to jump farther than Obi-Wan to find safe footing, and in so doing he provoked an attack of opportunity. Which Obi-Wan obviously succeeded to deal wound damage on.

Apparently, Obi-wan burned some action points for a max-damage crit.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads