Elfquest racial write up

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
You are very welcome, I love to share the wealth and the pain. But I think the real thanks go to Wendy and Richard Pini for being so generous with their IP.

Last edited:

Wolf72

Explorer
I've got that book (wolf checks shelf real quick ... hmmm) ... well I had it, or have it somewhere. In between moving, living, moving, it's probably still my mom's with all my previous edition stuff. That and I don't really play anymore (just lurk and read).

really neat info on other possible types of elves.

I'd definitely model wolfriders off of Wild elves and stick with small size. Figuring out their magic would be much different though, same with psionic abilities (or there all just magic abilities).

Trolls I really could see as some sort of dwarf derivative, especially stat wise.

here's a shameless plug for something I did a long time ago ...
Code:
Mad Coil, Abomination Template: Dire Leopard + Dire Snake (3.5).  Inspired from Elf Quest
•	Large Magical Beast [Psionic]
HD: 		6d10 +30 (63 hp, max 90 hp)
Initiative: 	+5
Speed:  		30’, swim 20’
AC: 		19 (-1 sz, +5 nat, +5 dex)
BAB/Grapple:	+6/+17
Attacks: 		bite +11, 2 claws +6, tail stinger +6 and poison
Damage: 	bite 1d8+7, claw 1d4+3, stinger [poison] DC16 Fort (init/sec 1d6 temp con)
Face/Reach: 	5x10/10
Spec Attk: 	Improved Grab (Ex), Constrict (1d6+10) (Ex), Poison (Ex)
Spec Qual: 	Scent, psionics
Saves: 		Fort +9, Ref +10, Will +3
Abilities: 	Str 25 (+7), Dex 20 (+5), Con 19 (+4), 
Int 6 (-2), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 12 (+1)

Skills: 		Balance +6, Hide +5, Move Silently +9, Listen +5, Spot +5
Feats: 		Alertness, Improved toughness, Stealthy
Clim/Ter: 	Forest, tropical forest, underground
Organization: 	Solitary or pair
CR: 		5
Treasure: 
Alignment: 	Always Neutral Evil
Advancement:	7-10 HD (large), 11-18 HD (huge)

MadCoils are the result of ancient magicks gone awry ... 
festering in a pool of bad magic, that trapped a leopard and snake intent 
on killing each other, now that hatred is focused 
on all the living sentients that might have caused that foul pool to exist 
in the first place.

Psi-like abilities: at will – 
1.	Demoralize (DC 12): You fill your enemies with self-doubt. 
Any enemy in the area that fails its save becomes shaken 
for the duration of the power. 
Allies and creatures without an Intelligence score are unaffected. 

2.	Id Insinuation (DC 13): As confusion spell

Taureth

First Post
The original ElfQuest run was a truly wonderful story.

I have the Chaosium rules around somewhere, something my brother passed on to me because I have of how much I loved EQ.

Under that system, all of the elves' magical type abilities (including animal bonding) were specific powers a given character either did or didn't have, based on tribe or just getting lucky with a % dice throw. They all had a percentage attached to them, to use them successfully (which could raise with experience) and a cost in magic points, which were derived from a character's POW (Power) stat (Chaosium system equivalent of WIS, more or less)

I always had a fondness for Chaosium's system, in a lot of ways. Just enough detail without requiring an overload of book keeping.

Yeah, nice work on Madcoil! Ooh, I'd love to see or a do a D20 rendition of Winnowill! She was cool. :)

Wolf72

Explorer
Winnowil? some sort of high level flesh-shaper, who can levitate ... definitely evil ... and kinda hot in "She'll boil your brains, literally sort of way"

I wouldn't even want to start trying to convert all the different magic uses of the EQ universe. ICE's different magic system might handle it ok.

Taureth

First Post
Well, Cutter faced her down in the original series, and he's not exactly Elric of Melnibone. ;)

The write up for her in the original Chaosium rules wasn't bad at all, though of course she was decently powerful for a character under that system.

I'm betting I could do a good Winni rendition under True20, at least with the Adept's Handbook. I don't think she's very D&D friendly; neither the spell or the psionics rules would fit her (nor any EQ character) well.

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
Sounds like a challenge. I have expanded my writeups on Elfquest elves for D&D, but I am also trying to do some standard conversions and I've only gotten to Cutter so far (and I'm not done with him yet). I don't think it would be that difficult, most of the powers are 5th or less in level and they use them more like psionics than as D&D spells. I'll post when I get home.

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
Here's what I have so far, though I am going to try doing the elves with standard 3.5e to show it can be done. The rules are variant and have inspired me to try to use SIZ as a d20 ability score (though it won't fit the standard table).

EDIT: I have a cleaner version on the next page of the thread.

Attachments

• Elfquest Elves.doc
    36.5 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:

BluWolf

Explorer
Very nice work.

I can't comment on psionics because I am just not that familiar with them buI did read missive and I think that capatures sending very well.

On the High Ones I would remove the animal companion ability and also make them a +1 or +2 ECL race.

Remove ads