D&D 5E Ellywick Tumblestrum's Ballads of the Forgotten Realms (hypothetical FR Setting Book)

No offense, but that doesn't sound like a nation worth creating (for 3E?) or detailing for 5E. Fold that into another nation at most.

The notion that every concept that's ever flown out of Greenwood's fingertips needs to be memorialized and carried forward into every edition of the game isn't a great one. At some point, the setting gets painted into a corner, which I suspect is partly why WotC had the weird 4E panic attack about the setting that it did.

Better to either detail the areas that have the most value in them or push out beyond the horizon to new areas that have never been created.
Durpar is tucked away at the very southeastern corner of the continent, so it's been overlooked before (even in SCAG, where just about everything else at least got a mention). However, it is a pretty large region, along with its neighbors Estagund and Var the Golden, all of which have a similar "Durpari" culture from when Durpar ruled the region. It would likely at least garner some mention in a prospective 5e FRCS, although if that's a paragraph or a full entry is anyone's guess...

Last edited:

For all intents and purposes Faerun IS what is meant by Forgotten Realms by most fans. Kara Tur and Zakhara in the long run were short term blips on that radar. A couple years each with no real development since the early 90s and the mid 90s.

also, whomever said SCAG was comparable in price to the other $50 books needs to check the price again. It was $40 bucks because the page count was so low.
Zakhara and Kara-Tur actually got several paragraphs in SCAG, so I expect they will at least see that much in our hypothetical book here. I would actually expect something similar to what Xen'drik got in the Eberron book - i.e. a page or so overview...

Ajit said he is working on so.ething coming out next year, but he gave zero indication that it is necessarily Indian or Asian: I think he'd be a great contributor to either Planescapr and/or Dark Sun.

I just double checked the tweet and your right, talk about the mandela effect. So who knows what he's working on. I still feel confident that they will ask Ajit or another D&D Indian writer to do Durpar. Maybe an Egyptian to do Mulhorand too, I don't know.

Durpar is tucked away at the very southeastern corner of the continent, so it's been overlooked before (even in SCAG, where just about everything else at least got a mention). However, it is a pretty large region, along with its neighbors Estagund and Var the Golden, all of which have a similar "Durpari" culture from when Durpar ruled the region. It would likely at least garner some mention in a prospective 5e FRCS, although if that's a paragraph or a full entry is anyone's guess...

Durpar did get mentioned in the SCAG, its Estagund and Var the Golden that didn't, possibly because I think those ones were destroyed in 4e. I think one of them became the Beastlands. They could have Durpar conqueror the region, maybe Ulgrath as well.

Part of why 4e failed was the needless destruction of places that seemed almost vscious and needless, the turning Var the Golden into Var the Drowned, it was nasty and served absolutely no point, hopefully Var the Golden ends up restored and maybe absorb into Durpar in 5e.

Durpar did get mentioned in the SCAG, its Estagund and Var the Golden that didn't, possibly because I think those ones were destroyed in 4e. I think one of them became the Beastlands. They could have Durpar conqueror the region, maybe Ulgrath as well.
I looked through SCAG before posting, and looking at it again I don't see it in the geography of Faerun section on pages 9 - 14. Halruaa, Dambrath, and Luiren all get their own sections, but no sign of Durpar or surrounding lands. Was it mentioned elsewhere?

I looked through SCAG before posting, and looking at it again I don't see it in the geography of Faerun section on pages 9 - 14. Halruaa, Dambrath, and Luiren all get their own sections, but no sign of Durpar or surrounding lands. Was it mentioned elsewhere?

Crude your right, I must be getting old. Or the Mandela Effect, yes I just blame the Mandela Effect!

Honestly given that one of the Durpari nations was a vessel state of Durpar and the other drowned during the Spellplague, but which likely resurfaced during the Sundering like Luiren, I'd have have Durpar united the Durpari nations, including Ulgrath, whose European style Feudal Monarchy made no sense given its made up of a mix of Mulan and Durpari under its banner. A Durpar Empire.

Last edited:

Carlsen Chris

Explorer
A FR book tied around an adventure based in the Dalelands, or Sembia, Cormyr or whatever that provides the opportunity for brief forays into Kara Tur, etc. Diverse and local at the same time, adventure and guide that leads the readers to older sources if they want to know more.

Crude your right, I must be getting old. Or the Mandela Effect, yes I just blame the Mandela Effect!

Honestly given that one of the Durpari nations was a vessel state of Durpar and the other drowned during the Spellplague, but which likely resurfaced during the Sundering like Luiren, I'd have have Durpar united the Durpari nations, including Ulgrath, whose European style Feudal Monarchy made no sense given its made up of a mix of Mulan and Durpari under its banner. A Durpar Empire.

Thinking about I might even have Durpar librate the related Mar people of the Utter East from the Ffolk of 5 Kingdoms of the Utter East. This would add Blood Forges to Durpar making it more interesting.

Remove ads