Elminster? Really? Why is he so popular?

Ahzad

Explorer
Elminster was very cool to me as a sage. All the little tidbits in game books, the pages from the mages, all those little blurbs scattered about was the Elminster I was cool with and really enjoyed.

Now Elminster uber-npc has no appeal to me what so ever.

Elminster he's no Pluffet Smedger!

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I think he started off decently enough, if something of a Gandalf clone.

But like a lot of characters, as more and more gets written about them, they became ridiculous.

A great example to me is Han Solo - in the movies he's presented as some sort of space bum.

Yet, after dozens of expanded universe novels, he's basically been turned into a Mary Sue

prosfilaes

Adventurer
Steve Jackson Games rebooted the original Traveller setting in GURPS with an alternate history where the Empire didn't fall. Perhaps they should create a GURPS Forgotten Realms where the Time of Troubles never happened, eh?

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Steve Jackson Games rebooted the original Traveller setting in GURPS with an alternate history where the Empire didn't fall. Perhaps they should create a GURPS Forgotten Realms where the Time of Troubles never happened, eh?

Don't forget that an edition-free Ed's version of the Forgotten Realms is coming out in November this year. As Ed's home game did not include the Time of Troubles or all the other novel-caused *&%@, there's a good chance that this will appeal to those who really liked the Old Grey Box.

Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Product (Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms)

Someone must be buying the books. Quite simply, they must sell, or WotC wouldn't keep publishing them. I can't stand them myself (and couldn't stand them even when I WAS still happily reading Drizzt), but my taste is not necessarily indicative of the wider D&D novel market's taste...

JeffB

Legend
Don't forget that an edition-free Ed's version of the Forgotten Realms is coming out in November this year. As Ed's home game did not include the Time of Troubles or all the other novel-caused *&%@, there's a good chance that this will appeal to those who really liked the Old Grey Box.

Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Product (Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms)

And it likely will not inlude a large chunk of what ended up in the OGB if it sticks to the premise. Grubb was responsible for adding quite a bit of material as well.

Dire Bare

Legend
I would dispute that Elminster is that popular among the fans, I suspect he is more popular at WotC.

Sure, that makes sense. Lets keep publishing over 9 novels with Elminster as the main protagonist, keep featuring him as a major character of our most popular setting, because we like him even if he doesn't sell all that well.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Sure, that makes sense. Lets keep publishing over 9 novels with Elminster as the main protagonist, keep featuring him as a major character of our most popular setting, because we like him even if he doesn't sell all that well.

I find I have to agree with DB. While I can't place the exact source, I've often heard that many more people buy and read D&D fiction than people who buy tabletop RPGs. Some readers, believe it or not, don't even know there's a game behind it. I imagine that a cool, yet pretty stock character like Elminster sells pretty well to many readers of fantasy novels. I'm honest about the fact that just because I don't find something interesting any more, it doesn't make it unpopular -- if that were true, the Twilight series and Shades of Grey series would be miserable failures, and Firefly would be in its 11th season. :)

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
The novels are far more popular than the games, that's just a simple fact. That's also why the needs of the novels will always trump the needs of the RPG.

Even at Candlekeep - the FR fansite on the web - many of the FR experts don't actually play D&D or any other RPG.

Remove ads