Elven Accuracy and Summoned Creatures...

Pbartender

First Post
Please, give me your collective opinions...

An Elf uses a power to summon some helpful creature. During the course of the ensuing battle, the summoned creature misses with an attack against an enemy.

Can the Elf use his Elven Accuracy racial power to reroll the summoned creature's attack roll?

AngryMojo

First Post
I would rule no. The elf isn't the one making the attack, the summoned creature is. Temporary bonuses on a wizard don't affect summoned creatures, so I can't really imagine why Elven Accuracy would,

Zaran

Adventurer
Please, give me your collective opinions...

An Elf uses a power to summon some helpful creature. During the course of the ensuing battle, the summoned creature misses with an attack against an enemy.

Can the Elf use his Elven Accuracy racial power to reroll the summoned creature's attack roll?

I have to say yes because you are using the Elf's attack modifier and enhancement bonuses. It just so happens that summoned pets from elves are more accurate than other races.

Now, if you had a beast companion it's different because they have their own attacks. you have to get a feat to use your elven accuracy with those.

Mengu

First Post
Summoned creatures have no actions of their own. You make attacks through them. You are making the attack. While these attacks don't include temporary bonuses you may have, I'd say yes, you should be able to use Elven Accuracy for an attack you make through your summoned creature since it is a personal power. Strangely, if you have Elven Precision, that +2 bonus would not apply to the new attack roll.

havoclad

Explorer
I thought this was an interesting question so I put it on the new RPG site on StackExchange so that folks can vote for the interpretation they prefer. (Or supply a new one) The questions and answers can also be commented on or edited until they are perfect.

Please swing by and vote on this or other questions.

DracoSuave

First Post
I would rule no. The elf isn't the one making the attack, the summoned creature is.

Attacks and Checks: If a summoning power allows the summoned creature to attack, you make an attack through the creature, as specified in the power description.

The rules contradict you. You are, in fact, making an attack. Elven Accuracy is perfectly legal.

Temporary bonuses on a wizard don't affect summoned creatures, so I can't really imagine why Elven Accuracy would,

Elven Accuracy is not a bonus, it's a power. A reroll is not a bonus. Elven Accuracy works fine. The only requirement is that you have a roll to reroll. You can't reroll something someone else rolled. And with a summoning, you did in all senses of the term, roll that attack.

However, if you had the feat that gave you a +2 bonus to the roll, you could not apply that to the second attack roll.

Pbartender

First Post
At the time, I ruled it couldn't be done, because it made more sense and we didn't have time to look up the relevant rules. However, upon closer inspection...

PHB said:
Attacks and Checks: If a summoning power allows the summoned creature to attack, you make an attack through the creature, as specified in the power description. If the summoned creature can make a skill check or an ability check, you make the check. Attacks and checks you make through the creature do not include temporary bonuses or penalties to your statistics.

PHB said:
Elven Accuracy
Encounter
Free Action Personal
Effect:
Reroll an attack roll. Use the second roll, even if it’s lower.

PHB said:
Personal
A power that has a range of “personal” affects only you.

...it certainly looks like it'd work, by the rules.

Remove ads