Elven/Elvish Names, Anyone Need One? (Closed, Use new thread)

My elven names are...

• ...just made up to sound neat.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • ...somewhat elvish-sounding.

Votes: 56 47.1%
  • ...Pure Elvish.

Votes: 35 29.4%

Grim

First Post
Angcuru said:

Peredhil - Half-Elf
oddly, no word for ghost - Ghost Spider(s) (aka Phase Spider)
ARG, no word for wish either - Wishing Stone (a huge black opal holding a wish spell)
Megilindir - Bladesinger - Queen of Elves
NO WORD FOR corrupt either (DAMMIT) - "Corrupted by the Spider" (an elf wizard who turned to Lolth)
no word for prodigy or prodigal - "Prodigal Daughter" (my half-elf PC, who is about to rediscover her elven roots, since she never knew her elf father)

For both Klaus and Angcuru:

I found my own elven translation pdf ( http://www.grey-company.org/Language/Files/phrase.pdf ) a while ago, and although I am dubious to its accuracy, after cross refferencing " I wish to speak", or "Amin merna quen", and "If you wish, "Manka lle merna", it seems to me that the word for "wish" is merna.

Lets see... the closest I could get to "ghost" was "Blade Spirit, which translates as Hyandae en'luhta. As to which means blade and which means spirit, i dont know. Angcuru might...

And thats all I could find. Hope I could be of help...

Grim

First Post
oh and also by my pdf, Peredhil is halfling, not half elf. Half elf is Elandili. But... sources conflict. I'd go with angcuru, though. I'm pretty sure my pdf was compiled by a bunch of 12 year olds playing BG2 or NWN (You can kinda tell b/c they list translations for then-popular clans (The Undead Overlords!), and translations for Sword Coast towns/cities)

Lalato

Adventurer
Angcuru... I'll re-submit the elven culture from before. Again... a matriarchal society, roughly based on Amazons of greek legend... and the real-life Sarmatians of northern Persia/Southern Russia.

--sam

Angcuru

First Post
Wingless - N'Raamavoite
Traitor - Dhaerow
Betrayer of the clouds - Dhaerow tel' Loomie
Fallen - Talant

Windstriker - Pelektar en' Sul (Striker of Wind)
Fogstrider - Vanar no' Hiise (walker on fog)
Mistwalker - Triallar e' Hisie (walker in mist)

I was wanting to use the archer of the woods- Cuar tel Taur......but exactly how do you pronounce it?

Koo-ahr tel Tahwr

Last edited:

Angcuru

First Post
Lalato said:
Angcuru... I'll re-submit the elven culture from before. Again... a matriarchal society, roughly based on Amazons of greek legend... and the real-life Sarmatians of northern Persia/Southern Russia.

Tel'Quessir Edainmeietura (the people controlled by women)

Solana

First Post
Im serious(its his title)

Order of the bow initiate, bowman to the court of the elven lords

keen eye
far shot
able to strike far and wide

thx dude man will my dnd group be shocked when my lvl 14 bow initiate decides to tell they hes actually the elven lords court bowman :) in elven LOL

Angcuru

First Post
Re: Im serious(its his title)

Neat, I was loading the thread to bump it and here we have another request. :)

Solana said:
thx dude man will my dnd group be shocked when my lvl 14 bow initiate decides to tell they hes actually the elven lords court bowman :) in elven LOL

bowman to the court of the elven lords - Cuara'i Edehlheruirond

keen eye - Eleelaike

Those are the ones I could get you given the descriptions you gave me.

randomling

First Post
Hey Ancguru: cool thread. But I gotta ask, where did you get the dictionary from? Does it have grammar and pronunciation in it? All I have is the appendices on Sindarin and Quenya from LotR.

As a student of linguistics, I would be very interested in having a look at the dictionary. I know Tolkien took his languages very seriously and I'm curious to know what resemblance Sindarin and Quenya bear to real-life languages.

Thanks in advance mate!

Remove ads