D&D 5E Elves As the Ancient Evil?

Quartz

Hero
Thoughts? Basic idea is the elves eliminated themselves and the PCs have to rediscover the Drow assuming I use them.

This is also in Dragonlance, only it was the ogres who eliminated themselves, devolving into cruder forms, with the remaining good ones (the Irda) fleeing to a hidden isle.

But I too dig the Valheru. You could perhaps have them as warlock patrons, as Ashen-Shugar was to Tomas.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Maybe after the Tolkien copyrights expire we will get some quality fiction, such as the story told from the point of view of a sympathy-inducing orc.

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
Just my 2 coppers, but... IMO if you want the fact of elves being villains to have some sort of dramatic subversion effect, you kind of need to keep some population of them around. And/or strongly consider letting PCs make elven or part-elven characters. So you can slowly add trickles of horrific and disturbing information about them and force the PCs to confront these revelations. Or at least there needs to be some sort of innocuous or respected elven presence - some concept of "elvenness" to subvert (but be very careful if the PCs do not have a personal connection - it's a common DM conceit to presume that players care significantly about the details of your game world). Otherwise they might as well be demons or space-dragons or any other villain race - because the PCs have no personal connection to them, no image to distort, no investiture in what was formerly thought to have been elven identity.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
When I saw the Omecs of Defiance, my thoughts were not just of Drow but also elves. A race of great civilization, and the bogeymen for all around them.

I agree with @Shadowdweller00 that for dramatic purpose, some should still be around (like the Omecs)…but not as a playable race. Dial them up a notch or twelve. Your Asu should be terrifying…assuming they know their true nature.

Absent living Asu, perhaps their culture left behind powerful servitors. They need not necess be hostile, but they should be formidable if challenged or provoked.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
A very interesting - and usable! - take on evil elves:

Remove ads