EN World City Project: Geography

KnidVermicious

First Post
I've posted pictures of the Silker's Guild Hall in my gallery and in my art thread

Feel free to use any of the images in the gallery or thread for anything you want (though you may want to ask permission fromthe board members who came up with some of the ideas).

Any other requests?

Conaill

First Post
Because Knid is too modest, I'll repost his absolutely stunning Silker's Guild Hall here:
attachment.php

attachment.php

jdavis

First Post
It is impressive. Love the bridge.

Other things around the city I'd like to see:

The gates, particuarly Trade gate and the squats outside the wall.

Mor's Tree in the citadel courtyard.

Dwarven keep and the Dwarf quarter of town.

Port Jolita

The raised causway through the swamp

The ruins of Swamp Keep

The temple of the cult of Mor (well the temple has never been mentioned but the cult was covered in the history thread, so you know they got to have a temple.)

KnidVermicious

First Post
Thanks guys.

As Conaill requested here is the first floor of the Silkers' Guild. I imagined it as an open air market with a retractable roof (like a baseball stadium, I guess). The two side areas are promenade/public meeting areas, with a meeting room attached. I took inspiration form the Bingtown Trader's hall in Robin Hobb's Ship of Destiny series. I left the numbers with no descriptions, so use them however you want. 2d floor coming soon.

That's 5'x5' grid for scale.

Attachments

• guild-plan1.jpg
    guild-plan1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:

Conaill

First Post
Thanks a bunch, oh Vermicious One!

That does seem like a *lot* of public area, for what's essentially a luxury product. Based on the 3D views, I got the impression that the two side wings (labeled "3") were a series of rooms, not a public promenade. Guess they could be individual stores for the members of the Silkers Circle. The covered walkway around it would be ideal for displaying wares, and would probably be more than sufficient for open air market.

The center area could then be used for cultural events. The Silkers Circle is dominated by Elves, who might perhaps be more likely to organize such events. Concerts, theatre plays, etc. I don't know if a city of this size would tend to have an entertainers guild (possible: Mor's End should have about 30 Bard class NPCs, and a total of 4-5 each of Acrobats/Tumblers, Jesters, Jongleurs, Minstrels and Storytellers), but if so they might rent the space for performances.

Another issue: Where in the city do we want to locate the Silker's Circle guild house? I'd vote for the area around D5-E5 (see gridded map on the previous page).

jdavis

First Post
This building would probably be the center of the culture of the few elves in this area (almost all of them are involved in the silk trade). A lot of the entryway would be a showplace to impress foriegn traders too.

I agree with the map grid. I'd go with E-5 close to the river and almost at the center of the "old city".

Conaill

First Post
The Orchard.

The Orchard is a haunted set of hills and small mounds, in the foothills North of Mor's End, covered with a wide variety of fruit trees. It is said that each of the thousands of fruit trees is planted over the grave of a fallen hero from some long-forgotten battle, and that at night their ghosts roam the orchard. Despite the beauty of the fruit blossoms in spring, and the abundance the trees provide in autumn, superstition keeps most people away from this place. It is said that no harm shall come to those who pass in reverence, and only pick up the fallen fruit from the ground. But woe on those who should try to pick the fruit from the trees!

In reality, the trees are indeed planted over the graves of heroes, and their (largely benign) ghost do roam the Orchard at night (and in the denser parts of the forest of fruit trees, during the day as well). However, these are not fallen warriors from some great battle. They are volunteers who gave their lives to guard a much darker and Evil presence sleeping fitfully deep underneath the scattered burial mounts. At the order of Cor Mahael, the Wizard on the Island,
there used to be a member of the Mage's Guild permanently stationed at the Orchard. This post has been abandoned for the past 50 years (although the Mage's Guild has not bothered informing Cor Mahael of this).

This locations could also make a good place for a well-hidden enclave of sprites, fairies, dryads and other Fey. One or more Druids, and perhaps some Treants are possible as well. These may or may not be aware of the Evil that sleeps below.

Plot Hooks:

- The party passes through the Orchard and plucks some fruit - or worse: decides to spend the night and builds a fire! The ghosts (leaning toward LN and LG, although Detect Evil may detect a faint Evil aura in the whole area) will try to scare and drive off the party. The more the party resists, the more help they will summon, including any other inhabitants of the Orchard. If the party does significant damage to the Orchard, the Evil beneath may start waking up...

- A lightning strike has set fire to part of the Orchard (or a Blight is spreading among the orchard trees). The party is called in to help
put out the fire and/or restore the Wards. The request for help could come directly from the Orchard ghosts or other inhabitants if the party is nearby, from the Mage's Guild (if they even remember what is buried underneath the Orchard), from Cor Mahael himself (if the smoke is visible from his tower in Mor's End), etc.

- The Ghosts of the Orchard have started terrorizing nearby farms and manors, and the party is called in to investigate. In reality, the
ghosts have been trying to call for help in controlling the Evil they guard. However, communication is not a ghost's strong point, and the farmers (with the possible exception of a little girl) are terrified. Perhaps some ritual needs to be renewed once a century? Perhaps the ancient apple tree in the center of the Orchard is dying and a volunteer is needed to take his place?

Last edited:

Remove ads