Encounter Critical (OOC)

Thrazar

First Post

ec-hobling.gif

EDIT: To cut to the chase you can snag the rules for Encounter Critical here.

(Ripped from the website for True Scientific Realism:)

Interstellar war destroyed the navigation beams, leaving thousands of planets isolated and billions of wayfarers stranded in their last ports of call. Out here on the Medieval Rim of the galaxy, the locals don't even know what a spaceship is. For more than eleven years, the navbeam recievers have remained silent ... just tiny blue lights, blinking in the darkness: NO SIGNAL.

They call this planet Vanth, and they call the starport "God City." In the old days, space merchants played the "visitors from the godly realms" routine and the locals - accustomed to sorcery, like most medievals - ate it whole. That lie is a luxury no one can afford anymore, and God City is going native, becoming as much a fantasy metropolis as anything else.

The wizards and warriors of Vanth have accepted that the "sky gods" are here to stay. The star-soldiers and space-merchants wonder if there's anything left of the galaxy they remember. In a situation like this, there's only one reasonable course of action left: make friends, form a party, and go adventuring!

Greetings! I'm late to the party in discovering this late 70's gem of an rpg. I know it isn't d20 but Encounter Critical is a great rpg for Sci-Fi Fantasy adventure. I'd like to run a game here at EN World.

Any interest? The Bee Girls of Vanth await!

[sblock=Oh yeah...] I came late to the joke. I know EC isnt a late 70's lost rpg. Its a faux homage parody of the early mimeographed homebrew games that were the genesis of our hobby.

But I've been itching to run a Heavy Metalesque, kitchen sink type game that doenst take itself too seriously. I'm looking for players. Obviously players are going to need an open mind for a game like this which is playable but is very...different.

Some other links to consider about EC http://jrients.blogspot.com/]Jeff Rients gameblog which has quite a few EC entries, (his robot wizard on his site is an EC PC.

Mesmerators of the 65th Quadrant an EC blog fansite.

Theres even a yahoo fangroup.

Again,I would love to try to run this poorly worded awesome game. I may run Jeff Rients adventure Asteroid 1618. Just grab the free download pdf on the website linked at the top of the thread-its just 28 pages long. Give a look and let me know if you want to play.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Thrazar

First Post
Bump

I must bump myself. Surely a few hardy souls are up for True Scientific Realism!

Seriously, the chance to play a Cave Planetary Ape Criminal or a Frankenstein Doxy interests no one?

Did I mention I'm awarding an extra 50 xp at the start for anyone creating a character portrait on the Hero Machine?

Thrazar

First Post
Hello Edsan. Details..

Characters are level 1. Create a PC by rolling your stats over at Invisible Castle http://invisiblecastle.com/ Just create an account and link your rolls so everything is Truly Scientifically Honest.

Regarding the adventure( a slight mashup of new EC stuff and an old Judges Guild module):

The Mysterious Pyramid of Glory Hole Mine

In the mountains between the Icy Lake of Hori and the Fissures of Death, a strange Pyramid has appeared near the Glory Hole Mine of the Dwarves-a pyramid rumored by Computo- scholars to be the lost pyramid of the Robopharoh Autohotep. A tale told oft in taverns, the pyramid was constructed ages ago on a distant Robo-planet. Made of stargold, it was a tribute to Autohotep's favorite concubine the pleasure droid QT314.

As the tale goes, the Robopharoh discovered QT314 servicing the output of his Grand Vizier VL616. Understandably, the Pharoh flew into a great rage.In punishment, the pyramid was converted to a tomb and QT314 was mummified alive for her infidelity. VL616 was flung into a black hole for his transgression.

The tale says the pyramid is haunted by QT's spirit and the pyramid vanishes periodically, moving from planet to planet in QT's fruitless search for her lover. Its appearances on various alien planets have been the stuff of legends, even embedded in the myths of non starfaring races.

The pyramids recent appearance has disrupted the output of the Glory Hole Mine, ceasing the flow of precious gems to the Eponymous Overlord of God City. The Dwarves have fled in terror of the cursed pyramid, citing the ill omens of doom and asserting the pyramid is a violation of workplace safety.

Wishing to return the mine to normal production, the God City Minister of Mine Safety and Adventure has placed a call for volunteers to search the Pyramid to solve the conundrum. Treasure seekers and those wishing to leave Vanth have swarmed the MSA offices to undertake an official expedition.

Other less official expeditions have begun as well, and in the She-Devil Tavern in God City, the ambitious retired Doxy Shantra Alternia has begun hiring adventurers for equal shares of adventure and treasure.....

Last edited:

Edsan

First Post
Are we going by the book with character creation? 3d6 for stats in order and random race rolls? Any classes are avaiable besides those on the rulebook?

jrients

First Post
Before Thrazar answers I would like to note that the Pugilist as given in Asteroid 1618 is way over-the-top in terms of damage output. The wooky boxer in my last run positively wrecked the opposition.

Thrazar

First Post
Thanks for the heads up Jeff. Considering I consider your Asteroid 1618 the Greyhawk supplement I of EC, I prefer to keep it "old school" and stick to the rulebook :)

As for race determination you can pick your own Edsan, no need to let chance determine. Roll ability scores however per the rules 3d6 for each. If you choose to do the optional racial features on page 6 you have to roll for your mutation or any other random features.

Also, begin with max hp for your class.

EDIT: No monster or were-creature PCs please.

Last edited:

Edsan

First Post
Before Thrazar answers I would like to note that the Pugilist as given in Asteroid 1618 is way over-the-top in terms of damage output. The wooky boxer in my last run positively wrecked the opposition.

So when can we expect a revision that abides more faithfully to the tenets of Scientific Realism? :)

rackabello

First Post
Hey mutandos, ttagxamm from the EC list, aka Max!

Count me in on this here pog and dony show. I'll check back in tonight when I have more time.

Keep yr lapels sharpened, comrades.

jrients

First Post
So when can we expect a revision that abides more faithfully to the tenets of Scientific Realism? :)

You misunderstand me. All the scientific evidence clearly points to boxers, wrestlers, and kung fu dudes being superior in combat to wizards and knights. I just wanted to make sure the JM understood that.

Remove ads