• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[ENDED] Contest! Create Your Sci-Fi Character With [WOIN] Future Careers!

Create soldiers, bounty hunters, engineers, doctors, traders, and starship captains in the character creation sourcebook for the What's O.L.D. is N.E.W. roleplaying game system. With over 60 careers, 7 species, and a wide selection of skills, traits, and exploits, this book walks you through the character creation process. Select your character's early careers using the life-path system to create erudite Android medics, reckless Human smugglers, mighty Ogron marines, young Venetian star knights, or ambidextrous Felan burglars. Will your character be a scientific genius, an expert with the laser sword, or a daredevil pilot? A notorious assassin, a wily con artist, or a detective in the far future? Only you can decide!

Create soldiers, bounty hunters, engineers, doctors, traders, and starship captains in the character creation sourcebook for the What's O.L.D. is N.E.W. roleplaying game system. With over 60 careers, 7 species, and a wide selection of skills, traits, and exploits, this book walks you through the character creation process. Select your character's early careers using the life-path system to create erudite Android medics, reckless Human smugglers, mighty Ogron marines, young Venetian star knights, or ambidextrous Felan burglars. Will your character be a scientific genius, an expert with the laser sword, or a daredevil pilot? A notorious assassin, a wily con artist, or a detective in the far future? Only you can decide!

This contest has now ended.

(This is a BETA VERSION of this book. If you download it, you will gain the final PDF version for free in about 3 weeks. You get the 60-page character creation rules for the WOIN roleplaying game system, plus a short two-page equipment list.)

[h=4]The Contest[/h]
There's a caveat, though. It may be free in price, but if you download it, please take the time to create a character and post it! You can post it in this thread, or grab a character sheet. Recreate your favourite sci-fi hero or character, or a new character of your own.

I'll choose my favourite, and the winner will get a free, full-colour, softcover copy of [WOIN] Future Careers. The contest ends on Sunday 25th October, so you have 5 days!

woin_career.jpg

holmes_slanted.png

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's a well-designed assassin, [MENTION=60965]Iron Sky[/MENTION]! I'm really going to struggle to pick the winner!

Your damage values look like they might be a little off (with that +8 and +10). Should those be +3 and +4?

Just one day left, everyone! Contest closes tomorrow!

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Oh, I for some reason thought you added the Attribute instead of the Dice Pool to it.

Unarmed should be 1d6+3 for unarmed and 1d6+5 for the knife (base value I found in the W.I.N. reference document was 1d6+2 +3=1d6+5?

Edited it and added Alpha's 10 Soak.

One Shot

First Post
I felt I should create an account to fulfill my part of the bargain with EN Publishing.

So here's Sir Avi, quixotic experiment in humanizing androids. Might be a friend of Dr. Tictoc. And is looking for a squire.

Sir Avi (AVI1)
An erudite android bounty hunter who thinks and acts like a knight

STR 6 (3d6)
AGI 8 (3d6)
END 4 (2d6)
INT 6 (3d6)
LOG 10 (4d6)
WIL 4 (2d6)
CHA 3 (2d6)
LUC -
REP 5 (2d6)
PSI -

Size: Medium
Health: 17 (36 if using cinematic mode)
Soak: 4 (leather armor)
Melee Defense: 20 (small shield and acrobatics)
Ranged Defense: 20 (small shield and acrobatics)
Mental Defense: immune

Unarmed: 3d6 (1d6+3 unarmed damage)
Laser sword: 5d6 (2d6+2)

Speed: 6 squares
Jump: 16'/6'
Carry: 100 lbs
Initiative: 5d6

Max Dice Pool: 5d6 (5 Grades)
Homeworld: Asteroids
Careers:
1) Experiment Grade 1 (4 years)
2) College (Electronics) Grade 1 (4 year)
3) Bounty Hunter Grade 1 (5 years)
4) Bounty Hunter Grade 2 (2 years)
5) Bounty Hunter Grade 3 (2 years)

Skills:
Computers (3 Ranks) (2d6)
Engineering (1 Rank) (1d6)
Linguistics (1 Rank) (1d6)
Zero-g (1 Rank) (1d6)
Acrobatics (3 Ranks) (2d6)
Electronics (3 Ranks) (2d6)
Swords (3 Ranks) (2d6)
Perception (1 Rank) (1d6)
Light Armor (1 Rank) (1d6)

Exploits:
Mindless: Androids are immune to any attacks which target MENTAL DEFENSE.
Deterministic: An Androids’s PSI or LUCK attributes can never rise above zero.
Electronic Vulnerability: As mechanoids, Androids are vulnerable (1d6) to electricity damage, and vulnerable (2d6) to ion damage.
Automaton: Androids do not need to eat, sleep, or breathe, and weigh 150% normal.
Organic Appearance: The android’s appearance is uncannily like that of a tall, skinny human, although not so alike that it would fool anyone.
Programming: You have been specifically bred and engineered for a purpose. At the start of a fight your ‘programming’ kicks in, granting you a +2d6 INITIATIVE bonus.
Bachelor (Electronics): Improve your skill ranks in your chosen subject to 3. Your research skills are developed. If you have access to a library or data network, you gain a +1d6 bonus to attempts to learn information about a subject.
Datamining: You are able to locate a target’s current location down to a specific planet by accessing credit, criminal, customs, and other records if you have access to a computer link.
Dodge: You gain the effect of cover from ranged attacks when in the open as long as you have moved at least 10 feet this turn.
Utilikit: You are able to turn one device into another device of equal value or lower. For example, you can modulate your scanner to use as a phaser, or enable your laser knife to operate as a lock pick. The device only functions in this way for a single action before becoming permanently useless.
Feint: This is identical to the aim exploit, but for melee combat; it grants +1d6 bonus to an attack roll taken in the same turn. The attack action must come immediately after the feinting action.
Always prepared: You have a brilliant tactical mind, and are always prepared. You may declare a single action which you took prior to the encounter (even if you didn’t know the encounter was going to take place) which helps you in this exact scenario. This must be an action you were capable of.
Trait Erudite: You remember a vast catalog of knowledge - often about knights, their duties, ideals and deeds. At any time you may make a LOG check in place of any CHA check to interact with someone by recalling a piece of trivia of interest to them.

Equipment: laser sword (hook), small shield (hook), leather armor, planetary communicator, engineering tools, remaining wealth 60.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Fantastic! He looks like he'd be really fun to play! He'd do well with some of the archaic careers (when they're published!)

So, the contest closes today. 278 people used the coupon, so I'm excited about the 273 characters that will be posted in the next few hours! :)

RustInPieces

First Post
Registration was really frustrating. Apparently ENWorld doesn't like where I host my email so I had to change it to a gmail address (yeah, I checked junk mail repeatedly). I could've posted it last night before midnight but I was tired enough.

This is my first attempt to build a character with WOIN. I didn't pick a particular path, per-se, but wanted to create a character with more broad purpose. Dunno how it'd work out in play though.

Name: Malallakilli

Descriptor: a deadeye felan battlepsyche who collects antiques.

Attributes

STR 2 (1d6)
AGI 8 (3d6)
END 5 (2d6)
INT 6 (3d6)
LOG 4 (2d6)
WIL 6 (3d6)
CHA 6 (3d6) (hook)
LUC 6 (3d6)
REP 1 (1d6)
PSI 5 (2d6)

Size: Medium
Health: 34 (40 if using cinematic mode)
Soak: 5
Melee Defense: 18
Ranged Defense: 15
Mental Defense: 11

Speed: 4
Zero-G: 3
Jump: 23’ / 7’
Carry: 70 lbs
Initiative: 4d6

Attacks:

Unarmed Combat 4d6 (2d6+1 damage)
Psi-blast 3d6 (3d6; range 10’)

Max Dice Pool: 5d6 (5 Grades)
Homeworld: Asteroid
Careers:
1) Felan Scavenger (2 years)
2) Academy (Marine; 4 years)
3) Psi-Cop (4 years)
4) Battlepsyche (6 years)
5) Battlepsyche (3 years)

Skills:

Acrobatics 1 (1d6)
Bluffing 1 (1d6)
Computers 1 (1d6)
Concentration 3 (2d6)
Law 1 (1d6)
Perception 2 (1d6)
Stealth 1 (1d6)
Survival 1 (1d6)
Tactics 1 (1d6)
Telepathy 2 (1d6)
Unarmed Combat 1 (1d6)
Zero-G 1 (1d6)

Exploits:

Fast. Felans are fast and nimble, adding 1 to their SPEED.

Jumper. Felans are adept at jumping, adding 5’ to both horizontal and vertical jump distances.

Land on your feet. When falling, a Felan reduces the effective distance by 10’.

Claws. Accurately slashing with their sharp claws, Felans do 2d6 unarmed damage.

Scavenge. Once per day, given an hour in an urban environment, you can scavenge one item worth up to 100Cr. This exploit cannot be used during downtime.

Basic Training: 1 rank in Tactics, Computers, Law, and Survival

Psychic interrogation. You can make a special PSI attack vs. a suspect’s MENTAL DEFENSE. Success means that they must answer three yes/no questions truthfully.

Psi-blast. You can use an action and make a PSI vs. MENTAL DEFENSE attack to blast an opponent with a mental burst which does 3d6 psionic damage and has a range increment of 10’.

Telekinetic shield. You gain +4 DEFENSE from a permanent telekinetic shield.

Feint. This is identical to the aim exploit, but for melee combat; it grants +1d6 bonus to an attack roll taken in the same turn. The attack action must come immediately after the feinting action. All characters get either the aim or feint exploit for free.

Flying kick. You move your speed and issue a flying kick at the end of it, dealing your martial arts damage with a bonus 1d6 damage.

Deadeye (T). Once per day you automatically hit with a ranged shot within two range increments as long as you do not exchange any attack dice for damage dice or combine it with another exploit.

Equipment:

170Cr

Kevlar vest (30lb)
Planetary Communicator (.5lb)​

Didn't like:

• Using notepad to create a character and track attribute changes through each career was painful.
  • Calculating defenses was confusing at first and required almost 3 readings to get right (I think, is it right?)
  • The general lack of character building advice. Dice pools aren't explained enough here so that I know what effect adding REP has. Okay, I have 2d6 in REP but what do I pair that with? My guess is that you could pair REP + Bureaucracy when pursuing a government contract. But there's no advice of "try to have a few attributes/skills above X, and at least 1 defense above Y."

Liked:

• Non-linear building through careers is great. It gives the character a sense of flavor/history.
  • Race design seems relatively easy. Except for calculating the value of exploits, which at first glance make Borians underwhelming, and others like Androids or Spartans look OP. Pretty sure they aren't, though.
  • Looks like the system would be fast for building dice pools, but I'd have to play a game to know for certain.
  • Free-form skills is handy for adaptation, though only at risk of breeding excess in skill choices.

Other:

• No ToC meant I had to bookmark and hop all over the place to build the character. There need to be sidebar entries through the process covering what you need to recall—so you don't need to constantly jump back to pg6.
  • Origins are interesting. It isn't 100% clear if you can leave one origin for another, so long as it's before a career. I'm guessing not, but I had the question in my mind and no answer in the rules.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Looks great, [MENTION=6803447]RustInPieces[/MENTION]! On some of your notes - you're suffering from not actually having the game rules, and just looking at one chapter of the book. When you have the actual rules, all those choices get context (and you get a ToC!)

I agree that notepad can be a bit of a paid to do it. There's an online character builder in the works, which will make the process *much* smoother.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads