Engaging A Distant Player

anest1s

First Post
If she doesn't have something to do then give her options like following other players, or something that you think its obvious.

Also, if you see her thinking about it more than a moment, suggest something before she realizes she doesn't know what to do. Once you start not knowing what to do, it sticks for the rest of the game (at least for me).

Try positive encouragement...out of game positive commends/bonus exp/fame or infame for the character etc. If she feels she can do things, she will do them sooner or later.

In my group where I was player, one other guy was like that...a ranger not talking to anyone,, just following. When we switched dm the new dm turned him into a chaotic evil monster...[we had to drop him to negatives to stop him :p (we TPKed ourselves btw)]

I am not sure how he did it, but I think its all about encouragement. And taking advice from a Quasit. Either one.

lamia

First Post
I'm definitely in agreement with OnlineDM on the knitting. I've had knitters in my groups before, and it's never really been a problem. I think it's just something to do with your hands. Some smoke incessantly, some build dice towers, some knit.

As to the rest of it, I'm curious, does she normally play male characters? I'm just wondering because I've seen some fabulous roleplayers freeze up when trying to play the other gender.

When I've seen this happen, sometimes they just clam up and don't do anything for fear of getting it wrong. And sometimes they play a bundle of walking stereotypes. Perhaps she is using the "strong, silent, and stoic" stereotype and doesn't know how to move outside that box?

Anyhow, I hope your talk with her is fruitful. Best of luck!

DumbPaladin

First Post
I agree with Lamia and Online DM. We have a player who has knitted in the past during games, and it did not at all interfere with her ability to participate or lessen her involvement in the game in any way we could tell.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases