D&D 5E Enhancing "Hoard of the Dragon Queen" (Practical stuff to try at your table!)

pukunui

Legend
The out-of-game reason is because Skyreach Castle is fun ...
Is it really? I've been reading over that chapter and I'm just not sure. I feel like it's potentially one of the weaker parts of the campaign. Blagothkus' reasons for helping the cult aren't all that convincing, especially given how easy it is to get him to betray Rezmir.
It also feels like a TPK waiting to happen, if you run it without making any changes. Rezmir's pretty tough, as are the two Red Wizards. Then you've got a vampire with two vampire spawn underlings, which just seems like overkill, some stone giants and an adult white dragon. It really is a death trap. I almost feel like skipping it just to make sure that we *don't* end up with a TPK.

Plus, if I were to skip it, it would solve the issue of there being two white dragons (back-to-back no less!) in the campaign and no red ones.

I can think of a couple of ways to patch it over. One is to let them get their resurrection more quickly than expected. Is there anyone left in the castle who might know exactly where some druids might be? Or what if a cult-aligned cleric/druid happens to come in through one of the portals--could they bluff a cultist into doing the spell for them?
I don't really want to cheapen character death any more than I already have, though.

Last edited:

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Blagothkus' reasons for helping the cult aren't all that convincing, especially given how easy it is to get him to betray Rezmir.
Funny you mention that. I just got around to reading the entry on Giants from the Monster Manual in preparation for running The Frozen Castle, and I meant to post here that Blagothkus makes so much more sense in light of what it has to say. The giants believe that their creator god turned his back on them when they lost their ancient empires, and that they have to earn his favor once again. I wish I'd read that before I roleplayed Blagothkus the first time.

It also feels like a TPK waiting to happen, if you run it without making any changes.
For your group, you may have a point, since they do die rather a lot. I've become convinced that mine are simply unkillable. They even managed to get in a long rest, plausibly, while slaughtering their way through Skyreach. (Of course, it helped that they had Blagothkus and his ogres on their side by then.)

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Is it really? I've been reading over that chapter and I'm just not sure. I feel like it's potentially one of the weaker parts of the campaign. Blagothkus' reasons for helping the cult aren't all that convincing, especially given how easy it is to get him to betray Rezmir.
It also feels like a TPK waiting to happen, if you run it without making any changes. Rezmir's pretty tough, as are the two Red Wizards. Then you've got a vampire with two vampire spawn underlings, which just seems like overkill, some stone giants and an adult white dragon. It really is a death trap. I almost feel like skipping it just to make sure that we *don't* end up with a TPK.

Plus, if I were to skip it, it would solve the issue of there being two white dragons (back-to-back no less!) in the campaign and no red ones.

I don't really want to cheapen character death any more than I already have, though.

I agree Pukunui, the Skyreach Castle is a hodge podge of stuff (as must things are in this adventure - not a lot of internal logic going on).

I've changed things based on discussion here (and probably lost). I have Blagothkus being blackmailed by the cultists as they have infiltrated Escarlotta's tomb and are willing to destroy her spirit if he doesn't go along with them.

I ditched the vampires and replaced them with an Ice Devil who guards the castle at night.

We're preparing for the big final battle (my players have already dealt with Rath Modar thanks to stealthy use of Silence to neutralize him) so I'm coming up with a special treat. They've learned that there's a teleportation ring in Rezmir's quarters (which they've not searched yet) that leads to Escarlotta's crypt. But what they don't know is that the arcane lock I've added to Rezmir's door will signal the Dragonwings in the crypt that the situation has gone south and they should perform the ritual. The PCs will have to battle past a helmed horror in Rezmir's quarters to get to the crypt and stop the ritual. I also plan to have the castle lurch about as Escarlotta's spirit starts to become aware of the threat.

The Ice Devil and the rest of the Dragon cultists will probably make an appearance (thanks to the alert) once they think they're safe :) Cue battle royale for control of the castle.

Hopefully it turns out well.

Hmm.. so I will have new players introduced to D&D and I'm thinking of running HOTDQ.
With all the tweaks to 'fix' it, is it really worth running it to new players?

pukunui

Legend
Hmm.. so I will have new players introduced to D&D and I'm thinking of running HOTDQ.
Three of the four players in my ToD campaign were more or less new players when we started. The fourth player, while he has been playing D&D of various kinds for years, was also fairly new to 5e when we first started. They've all been enjoying the campaign immensely! So yes, I'd say it's worth it.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter

How new are you to DMing?

As I new DM I'm finding it a bit of a challenge as the adventure needs a lot of correction. In hindsight I should have run it more freeform (that's definitely when we as a group have more fun).

But the players seem to be enjoying it. About to finish up HotDQ so I'll be having a Q&A with them before we proceed to part 2 (if that's what they want to do)

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Thanks for the comments above. Good to know that players are still ok with this adventure.

3.5: player and DM
4e: player and DM
5e: AL player but first time to DM 5e directly from a module

Will have to note the tips on enhance HOTDQ.

Cool. I should qualify my remarks that we joined the adventure halfway in (after finishing LMoP) so our experiences don't cover the earlier chapters - some of which have some real gotchas so definitely read this thread.

I would say that fast and loose is the way to run this adventure. Strict adherence to the book will trip you up. Use it as a sketchy map rather than an authority.

Remove ads