(ENN) Luke, Son of Gary, on Gary Con and Gaming in the Military

The Gygax family will forever be linked with Dungeons & Dragons and the RPG hobby, and they universally embrace this role with class and enthusiasm. Gary's son, Luke Gygax, is one of the organizers of Gary Con, as well as a soldier in the U.S. Army. He's interviewed by the folks at Trench Monkeys.

The Gygax family will forever be linked with Dungeons & Dragons and the RPG hobby, and they universally embrace this role with class and enthusiasm. Gary's son, Luke Gygax, is one of the organizers of Gary Con, as well as a soldier in the U.S. Army. He's interviewed by the folks at Trench Monkeys.

GARY CON TOUR 1: EPISODE 6

Games. RPG history. Top notch gaming guests. Gary Con has it all. Luke Gygax is a wonderful ambassador of the hobby and also a soldier. We discuss gaming in the military as well as the convention he organizes in honor of his dad.

Trench Monkeys is an RPG podcast geared to active duty military and military veteran gamers.

Luke knows this hobby, and he's got some powerful insights on how the military embraces the culture and expands upon it. As well, Gary Con is resplendent with history (and those that made it).

~SPF

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
The US military is where I first began to play D&D actively; knew about D&D before during highschool, and owned the box set, but never actually played it until joining the USAF. I'll never forget my marathon games and DM'ing a loyal group through 1e's Temple of Elemental Evil. Lots of GI's play D&D, hopefully the industry will take note of this.

hejtmane

Explorer
I've often read about D&D being somewhat popular in the service, why do you think that is?

I can tell you why from several angles. I spent most my life growing up in a military town (army brat dad got out we endded up staying in the military town long term job reasons) and I servered 12 years Army reserves

Several reasons so I started playing D&D early years then in Highschool continued to play then you get the young GI's coming to church alot are 17-19 years old so they hang out with the 16-18 year old highschool guys and guess what we played D&D and they hang around us so they get hooked they had never played before and it grows. Next in the field or even in the Barracks you do not always have access to the internet, tv etc so guess what always works pen and paper yep.

Those are what i saw during my time frames in the Military and growing up in a military town

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads