• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ENnies 2002 - Making Decisions

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Hard8Staff said:
Well,

This publisher missed the 2001 Ennies entirely, mostly because we didn't know what they were. I was VERY surprised when someone (don't know who) came up to our booth at genCon and admonished me for not sending in our products for consideration. I was pretty shocked that the ennies were already over with like 4-5 months left in 2001!!!

So, I propose having the awards in January or something (after all releases for that year are out).

Dave

PS Kalamar would have swpet the field last year...had we ONLY known...

PPS despite the fact we rarely post, many of us do occassion the boards and poke around.

PPPS Your "D&D " releases on the RHS of the main page are way off...there are NO Kalamar releases listed. Feel free to scrape our kenzerco.com site for the images, etc. you need to place our products among WOTCs.

I've editted what I originally posted, in response to your post, because I just don't think it is worth it to bother being as irate as it made me feel.

What you are characterizing as admonishment, if it refers to me, is false and was only an interest in your non-pariticpation. How you can claim not to have been aware of the awards is beyond me.

I've been going to GenCon since the mid-seventies and have never had someone representing a company (or otherwise) treat me in such a fashion as I experienced that day.

I was not pleased.

I find your claims of thinking you would have swept last year's awards unfounded...

Last edited:

Blacksad

Explorer
Abashima Press: As to products-per-category, I think each company should decide what represents its best effort and offer it up. There can't be two "bests" so there shouldn't be more than one submission per category from any company.

Ron: I am not concerned with the second criticism. There is nothing wrong with the actual system. The nomination committee actually works as a filter, increasing the chances of poorly known products with high quality. Because of that, the ENies are not a pure popularity contest, although, popular good products have a higher chance of winning.

Mystic Eye: I think that if the judges announce the entries early enough for the public to get to take a look at the smaller, lesser known entries then that may alleviate some of the feelings Russ mentioned.

Originally posted by Morrus
I'd appreciate your opinions on these issues, and on any other related issue that may spring to mind. I'm making some decisions over the next couple of weeks, so if you have any concerns, or even if you just agree with the above proposals, now is the time!

I agrre with those proposals:D

d20sites

First Post
In my opinion, I don't think we should have the ENnies. All this work put toward the ENnies could be better spent by improving the review system (get more of the d20 items reviewed, not just the most available products).

There are over 100 d20 companies out there. Over 100!! With all of their different products, there is no possible way to judge them all (or even some) effectively to produce a fair awards presentation.

Daniel Thingvold

jakal

First Post
d20sites said:
In my opinion, I don't think we should have the ENnies. All this work put toward the ENnies could be better spent by improving the review system (get more of the d20 items reviewed, not just the most available products).

There are over 100 d20 companies out there. Over 100!! With all of their different products, there is no possible way to judge them all (or even some) effectively to produce a fair awards presentation.

Daniel Thingvold

That's like saying that there are thousands upon thousands of movies released every year, and no one can watch all of them, so why do we have the Oscars, the Golden Globes, Sundance ....

Jakal

Hard8Staff

First Post
Heh heh. Seems like my bad mood last night has really po'd some people.

Mark, I apologize if my post made you angry.

I apologize doubly if me or anyone on my staff made you, Piratecat (love the name...) or anyone else feel bad about anything. Honestly, my only recollection about the encounter was a couple of guys I didn't know came up to our booth, very irate that we hadn't sent something to them for some awards called the "ennies". If I had heard about them prior to it, I had forgotten or assumed they were running in 2002 for 2001 product. AFAIK we never fail to send in our stuff for consideration for any award.

As far as my "Kalamar sweeps" comment, it was a joke. I'll use the :) symbol next time. To be honest, I doubt we would have won. There were some good products out there and I don't think many people even know about Kalamar here and certainly not in June/July of 2001 (presumably when the voting occurred).

So there you have it. A public apology for me and/or my team being jerks for no reason. Certainly any gamer, let alone you, would deserve better. We usually try not to make anyone feel angry. Ever. So much so that sometimes members of the "industry" walk all over us...we're like the Buddhas of the gaming industry (or try to be).

But I digress (again).

The point is: I'm sorry, Mark.

Feel free to email me if you have an issue with anything I've said (or post publicly if it's more convenient).

Dave

Emiricol

Well, as I said before (here and on your own boards), Kenzer has neglected the online community. I know you (the organization as a whole) were probably not aware how active the online community is these days, and frankly, you guys are doing a great job fixing that problem lately. Hopefully the ENnies this year reflect your more proactive stance in regards to ENWorld :) I know your products rock, and now I think more people than ever are aware of that :)

PS - if any offence whatsoever is taken to these remarks, the author had zero intention of any insult whatsoever, actually meaning the above as a compliment for the improved community outreach Kenzer is doing these days

Teflon Billy

Explorer
My hopes for this years ENnies are that...

A) I'm on the Judging Comittee again.

B) Gary Gygax hosts the award ceremony again (God, what a coup that was!)

It's a shame that PC won't be on the committee again :(

King_Stannis

Explorer
Emiricol said:
Well, as I said before (here and on your own boards), Kenzer has neglected the online community. I know you (the organization as a whole) were probably not aware how active the online community is these days, and frankly, you guys are doing a great job fixing that problem lately....

giving away a free module was a pretty good start to making amends. i only wish i would have responded :(

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Hard8Staff said:
Honestly, my only recollection about the encounter was a couple of guys I didn't know came up to our booth, very irate that we hadn't sent something to them for some awards called the "ennies".

Well, that's simply not the case but I assume you felt like you were under a lot of pressure at the time. Having invested in the licensing agreement that allows for the logo you use carries some added responsibilities and stress, I'm sure.

Hard8Staff said:
The point is: I'm sorry, Mark.

Consider it forgotten.

I hope you get the chance to enter any and all d20 Kenzer products in future ENnies competitions.

Good luck! :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads