• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[ENPublishing] Deadly Games

Blacksad

Explorer
HellHound said:

From the developers of Tournaments, Fairs and Taverns

It bother me that this is used as a selling point.

Tournament, Fairs and Taverns was done through ENworlder contribution. Not this PDF.

I wouldn't mind if at the bottom of the press release all release from E.N. Publishing were mentioned, but here it's in the first line, and it's the only one mentioned.

TFT is a bestseller, and the PR looks like: "here more of the same, if you liked TFT, you'll like this one". While it looks like a different product, which was written with a completly different staff than TFT.

Though it looks interesting, while I think that it would have been better as a product usable in any timeframe, because the idea of dungeons as a game with public reminds me too much of D&D the movie, while I found it fun, if players draw a parallel with the movie, I'm sure that I won't be able to maintain some seriousness around the gaming table.

It makes a lot of sense to have F-Zero, Rollerball and I do not remember the name of that movie with Schwarzy, games in a near future setting. Perhaps for another product or a revision of this one?

True, TFT did benefit from the contributions and submissions of ENWorld members, but the main bulk of the writing was done by Natural 20 Press folks. The games were inspired by submissions people sent in, but often we had to write new rules to handle those games. For the print revisions in particular, much more material was added that was not contributed by site members. Some of the same people who worked on TFT also worked on Deadly Games, so even though the subject matter goes in a slightly different direction, you can expect the same quality (better, actually, since we've hopefully improved in the past year).

I understand if you think it's just a marketing ploy, and find that frustrating, but at least it's not a hollow marketing ploy. We actually do think it's a good book.

As for converting it to a modern setting, that wouldn't be very hard. Mind you, I've never seen Roller Ball, and the only F-Zero I know of was a Super Nintendo game, but I mean, the rules for d20 Modern and D&D are pretty close. The book is definitely set up to use magic and monsters, and we don't have rules for people fighting on rollerblades, but I'm sure folks won't have a hard time adapting it to, say, an Urban Arcana adventure.

Oh, and that movie you were thinking about was Running Man. Fun movie, not quite the same as Deadly Games, though. You could easily take one of the dungeons and have a race through it, using some of the sample NPCs as opponents, and we even have rules included for a high-speed race through The Great Hall, as contestants try to escape before the hall floods completely.

s/LaSH

First Post
Just as an aside, I've always had an odd soft spot for Running Man because Arnie plays a guy called Ben Richards. Beside the fact I think the movie's good, that's my name.

Carry on, then.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Due to a glitch in the (120 meg) hi-res PDF we sent to the printer, the Print-on-Demand print run of Deadly Games has been delayed by a few days.

We will probably be placing the both the electronic and print editions up for sale on RPGnow before the weekend, but the PoD edition will not be shipping to customers for another week. (which will be indicated on the PoD page, of course).

Remove ads