Enslaving the Undead

I'm trying to figure out the best way to use the Command Undead feat to enslave an intelligent undead monster as a long term minion.

I'm looking at doing this as a Wizard- Necromancy/Undead arcane school. The level requirement isn't specific, though for the purposes of this thought experiment I'm trying to figure out how to do this at as low a level as possible. Once you get into the mid teens, throwing gold/spells/items/etc at the problem makes it less interesting. So, let's assume character level < 10, ideally 7.

With the Command Undead feat (free at level 1 via Necromancy school) and the Undead Master feat, it should be possible to command up to your Wizard level + 4 HD worth of undead; at level 7, that allows you up to control up to 11 HD of undead. This opens up a surprisingly large amount of intelligent undead as possible thralls.

I'll leave the details of the initial command undead success to the imagination of the reader. Let's just assume that, somehow, you've found an intelligent undead you want to enslave, and have managed to get your Command Undead off.

You now have until the next day to ensure that your minion remains loyal to you.

First off, let's make it harder for your minion to make its daily saving throw. Because it has to obey you, you can make it voluntarily give up its saving throws against any and all spells you may cast on it before then. Using two invocations of Bestow Curse, using the RAW, you can give your minion a permanent -6 to its Wisdom, and -4 to its saving throws. With a reasonable DM, you could also convince him to make a custom curse that would apply those penalties only to resisting YOUR spells and abilities, so you don't have to weaken your thrall unnecessarily against other foes.

That should give your thrall a net -7 penalty to making its will save. Unfortunately, no matter how low this might make your thrall's will save, he will always have a 5% chance of making his save by rolling a natural 20. As a note: a nice custom curse you could try pitching to your DM might be forcing your thrall to always reroll any natural 20 it rolls resisting your command undead. Whether that's on par with the other Bestow Curse powers is up to your DM, of course.

So- no matter how much you penalize your thrall's will save, 5% of he will make his save and free himself from your command. If he needs to roll a 20, this means, on average, he will break your command in 20 days. If he needs to roll a 19, 10 days. An 18, 6.7 days. A 17, 5 days. Clearly, then, something must be done to handle that eventuality.

If you keep your thrall under a constant Command Undead spell (in addition to your Command Undead feat), you gain some insurance that it will not turn on you immediately. At 7th level, your Command Undead spell will need to be renewed every 7 days- hardly onerous. Here, things get interesting. According to a strict reading of the RAW, the Command Undead spell only a) prevents the undead from attacking you, and b) makes its attitude towards you friendly. If you wish to make it do something it wouldn't normally do, you need to make an opposed Charisma check. It is unclear how this behavior might overlap with your Command Undead feat. If you try to use your Command Undead spell to persuade your thrall to submit to the control of your Command Undead feat, for instance, your DM is unlikely to let that fly (otherwise you've permanently enslaved the thrall- no further work necessary. Just use your spell to make the thrall submit to the next use of the feat, and use the feat to make it submit to the next use of the spell). You might, however, be able to use the spell to get your thrall to remain close to you without attacking you or your allies. This would, at the very least, let you try to use your feat anew on the now-free thrall. With all of the permanent curses you've laid upon your thrall, this should at least provide you with a much easier challenge than the original capture. Of course, it's also likely that your DM will rule that new command undead attempts will count as 'threatening' the undead, which will break your command undead spell.

You may be able to further improve your chances of recapturing your thrall by using your command undead spell to lure it into some kind of containment; corporeal undead might be easily bound by even a rudimentary cage made from a strong material. Incorporeal thralls might require stronger measures; any advice others may have is welcome.

Custom magic items may also help control a thrall, though the the efficacy and affordability of such items is dependent upon your DM.

Can anyone recommend further measures one might use to further ensure the permanent control of an undead thrall? RAW that are not dependent upon DM interpretation are preferred, but spells/abilities/items that could be turned toward this end with some creativity are welcome.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I don't think intelligent undead should/could become thralls. It would take the same power level to control a normal PC or living human. Not that they can't be controlled, but long term is unlikely. Consider a vampire (a powerful one) is just as likely to control the necromancer as the other way around. Unless the necromancer is a deity, I don't see long term control of intelligent undead as being a realistic concept.

It's your game, you can do what you want, but I don't see the existing spells as a means of controlling intelligent undead.

I don't think intelligent undead should/could become thralls. It would take the same power level to control a normal PC or living human. Not that they can't be controlled, but long term is unlikely. Consider a vampire (a powerful one) is just as likely to control the necromancer as the other way around. Unless the necromancer is a deity, I don't see long term control of intelligent undead as being a realistic concept.

It's your game, you can do what you want, but I don't see the existing spells as a means of controlling intelligent undead.

This isn't for a game- it's a thought experiment using the mechanics as written. Even if there were an air tight way to do this, actually *achieving* such a thing in game would run afoul of far more issues than those presented here; your opinion represents one such issue, as I suspect many DMs would agree with you. That's why I'm looking for a rules based discussion rather than an ideological one- I don't suspect I'd win the latter ;)

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
OK, I'll keep the philosophy out, but I don't think it's possible by the rules. You could get a vampire to possibly mutually agree to work with you as an equal, but long term control of an intelligent undead is not feasible with the rules as written. That's about all I can add to your conversation.

SnowleopardVK

First Post
Well, I don't think there's really a way to make it perfect, but let's see...

Command Undead: DC = 10 + 1/2 Cleric level + Cha Modifier

20th level Cleric (DC +10)
Starting Cha 18 (+2 Racial bonus + 6 Headband of Alluring Charisma + 5 Tome of Leadership and Influence + 5 for levelling) = Cha 36 (DC + 13)
Improved Channel (DC + 2)

DC35 to resist

Now, looking at the bestiary, the example Lich (Will + 11) actually has no chance of making his will save, amusingly enough. Unless you course the GM declares natural 20 being an auto-success on saves (I think by RAW it's only an auto-success on attacks) in which case it has a 5% chance per day.

If you have a high-level witch as a teammate (similarly built for saves against her to be difficult), the misfortune hex can also be used daily on the controlled undead, forcing it to roll twice and take the worse result, in which case even if your DM says nat 20 is a auto-success you still have a good chance of your minion not being able to make its save.

And I don't know magic items that well. There may be additional things that could boost your Cha even higher.

However, assuming a lower level character, as you said, I don't think it's going to be even remotely possible. Sorry.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Can anyone recommend further measures one might use to further ensure the permanent control of an undead thrall? RAW that are not dependent upon DM interpretation are preferred, but spells/abilities/items that could be turned toward this end with some creativity are welcome.

Yes.

You need to dip one level into Sorceror. Just one level. You do this only to take the Undead Bloodline. Of all of the Sorceror bloodlines, it is perhaps the most front-end loaded, as you instantly get the coolest bloodline power there is: all your mind-affecting spells now affect the undead if they are corporeal and were once humanoid, intelligent or not.

The spells that will now work includes a remarkable number of clerical buff spells by the way, which is extremely handy and makes it worth getting wands to cast such spells. In your case, it also allows Charms and Suggestions to work, which will be the crowning achievement in your bid to mentally enslave them as your unquestioning Undead Minions.

Note that to assist you in your control, you can give them something with your undead bloodline that is more precious to them than anything: the subjective illusion of life. You see, your illusion spells now work on them, so they can feel warm and alive through the creative use of your illusions as "rewards". It isn't only about the stick -- you now have a unique carrot to offer as well.

I would otherwise refer you to Episode #010 of the Podcast where in the Character Concept Workshop we discuss our build of Tutt the Necromancer. There are a number of feats that are discussed (Sacred Conduit, for one). Research gets into a discussion of the Athame, which is certainly worth taking as a weapon.

You might also consider obtaining an item I call a spectral glove. Most affordable as a X per day item, the spectral glove allows you to cast Spectral Hand a number of times per day. As so many of your useful spells as a necromancer are touch based, you'll want one of those to extend them to range touch attacks.

Last edited:

Yes.

You need to dip one level into Sorceror. Just one level. You do this only to take the Undead Bloodline. Of all of the Sorceror bloodlines, it is perhaps the most front-end loaded, as you instantly get the coolest bloodline power there is: all your mind-affecting spells now affect the undead if they are corporeal and were once humanoid, intelligent or not.

The spells that will now work includes a remarkable number of clerical buff spells by the way, which is extremely handy and makes it worth getting wands to cast such spells. In your case, it also allows Charms and Suggestions to work, which will be the crowning achievement in your bid to mentally enslave them as your unquestioning Undead Minions.

Note that to assist you in your control, you can give them something with your undead bloodline that is more precious to them than anything: the subjective illusion of life. You see, your illusion spells now work on them, so they can feel warm and alive through the creative use of your illusions as "rewards". It isn't only about the stick -- you now have a unique carrot to offer as well.

I would otherwise refer you to Episode #010 of the Podcast where in the Character Concept Workshop we discuss our build of Tutt the Necromancer. There are a number of feats that are discussed (Sacred Conduit, for one). Research gets into a discussion of the Athame, which is certainly worth taking as a weapon.

You might also consider obtaining an item I call a spectral glove. Most affordable as a X per day item, the spectral glove allows you to cast Spectral Hand a number of times per day. As so many of your useful spells as a necromancer are touch based, you'll want one of those to extend them to range touch attacks.

Very interesting stuff- thanks for the ideas! I've honestly never considered making a multiclass wizard/sorcerer. It would set your spell progression back by a level- but as you say, it might be worth it for the bloodline power. Wizard/sorcerer levels don't stack for determining caster level, do they?

Steel_Wind

Legend
Very interesting stuff- thanks for the ideas! I've honestly never considered making a multiclass wizard/sorcerer. It would set your spell progression back by a level- but as you say, it might be worth it for the bloodline power. Wizard/sorcerer levels don't stack for determining caster level, do they?

That is what the trait magical knack is for; take that trait, and your Sorc level will counts towards Wizard CL.

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are commanding an undead constantly to be your thrall, it might have to follow your instructions, but it doesn't have to like it, does it?

And you're talking about doing this long term to an intelligent life-force draining entity?

Dear grief, I hope your weekly instructions to it are thorough. You might need to write a long contract of behaviour and get it to sign it. Probably on a daily basis in case it pretends to forget. "Do not harm, or by your inaction allow me to come to harm" is not going to cut it.

Not if you have friends. Not if you don't want it to pay others to attack you. An intelligent creature in your thrall is going to plot, plan and do anything it can to ensure your destruction. After all - what would your PC do if the vampire (or whatever) ethralled him?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases