• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Entanglement & Briar web question

Zarthon

Explorer
Greetings all,

Here is my question:

The Briar web spell (MotW pg85) provides cover for creatures that are caught in it, does the Entanglement spell (PHB pg200)offer the same? I have looked in the errata and the FAQ and I could not find anything about it.

Perhaps someone can point me to a Sage Advice or something.

Also is the area of effect of these spell visable to persons not in the affected area, I would say yes, but some of the other players in my group say no, what do you say?

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Entangle does not give concealment.

I think these spells are visible since the plants would be moving trying to entangle things.

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
That sounds like the "web" part of Briar web to me (not the Entangle part).

As for visibility, Entangle causes "Grasses, weeds, bushes, and even trees wrap, twist, and entwine about creatures in the area or those who enter the area, holding them fast". Does it twist if there are no creatures in the area? That's a DM call.

One pet peeve of mine is people who think that this spell makes plants grow, or get stronger than they normally are. There is nothing to indicate that except for a munchkin's fertile imagination. If someone is standing on short-cut lawn, Entangle isn't going to be much of a hinderance.

Remove ads