• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ENWorld Spamletter

Imperialus

Explorer
I like the Email personally. I mostly futz around on CM now and I don't really care for the new(ish?) layout of the news page so it's nice getting the condensed version in my inbox.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I receive the newsletter at more than one account, because I have more than one ID, and it was simple to scroll to the bottom of the newsletter and unsubscribe.

HinterWelt

First Post
And in all fairness, a lot of people *do* find the newsletter useful. I'm upset about it being blasted along as an opt-out, that's all.

On the contrary, unsubscribing and then complaining about the annoyance is exactly the appropriate response. Maybe, just maybe, next time Morrus/other ENWorld admins/new powers that be will use better methodology for newsletter subscriptions. If they do, it's a win for everyone.

This. Yes, I came here initially to start a thread to this effect. Am I scarred for life and feel violated in my pink parts? No. However, I would expect such a newsletter to be opt-in. As for the "admin Emailing you" setting, I totally would have thought that was just like it sounds, to have admins contact you.

Again, as with above, this is mostly an FYI for next time not a "Heads must roll".

HinterWelt

First Post
Nit-pick: And this newsletter is somehow /not/ the admin contacting you?

No, it is not. It is a newsletter. I would expect from the context of the check box that it would be for things like "The board will be down" or even "OMG! We are out of money time for a pledge drive!". This was unsolicited. It really was not about the administrative function of the board but as a "Nudge, Nudge, hey! Pay attention" sort thing. Note, this is not some sort of empirical valuation but merely my response to it. As has been shown in this thread, some folks were pleased with it while others were not. My point is, we should be allowed to choose to be included in such emailing before hand (and i feel the account setting is not clear in that), thus, opt-in not opt-out.

Again, I need to say, this is not posted in "Outrage!!!1!11" but as an FYI next time Morrus gets an idea. At least on my part...

Elephant

First Post
One other thing to note - it's indicative of the respect and "reputation powe" that ENWorld commands that I bothered to unsubscribe and post about it. Usually, when I get an unsolicited newsletter, I click "mark as spam" in gmail and, if necessary, add a deletion filter for the sending address.

@Mark - as I observed before, unsubscribing is not a *big* inconvenience, but it's still an inconvenience to need to unsubscribe. Proper protocol for newsletters is to mention them on your site and let people choose to subscribe. People who want them will still subscribe. People who don't...won't complain about getting spammed!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads