• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Epic 20] Diablos Ex Machina

Eidalac

Explorer
Hows 20k sound for this beast?

[sblock="Gathra"]Gathra CR 12
LE Huge Magical Beast (Extraplanar)
Init -2; Senses Darkvision 60', low-light vision; Listen +9, Spot +9

AC 20, Touch 6, flat 20
hp 166 (12 hd), wp 60; DR 3/-, 10/magic
fort +18, Ref +5, Will +7

Spd 40'
Melee Gore +18 (1d10+12) and 2 Hooves +13 (1d6+6)
Trample 2d6+12 (AoO at -4 or Reflex DC 22 for half)
Space 15' (long); Reach 5'
BaB +12; Grp +24
Atk Options trample, bellow

S 35 D 7 C 30 I 4 W 17 C 16
Feats Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Power Attack, Awesome Blow
Skills Hide -5, Surival +9

Bellow (Sp) 3/day, fear, 30' radius, Will DC 18

Gathras are powerful and dangerous animals that wander the scorched plaines of Avernus. While they may look like herd animals, gathras are actually predators that hunt down and devour any animal unlucky enough to be caught in the open.

A gathra looks like a horrid blend of board and bull. It is heavily muscled, with stubby legs that can propel it at great speed. Two enormous tusks jut from it's fang-filled mouth, and it constantly drools as foul-smelling spittle. The eyes of a gathra glow with a dim, red light that becomes brighter when the beast is angered.

Demons and other evil creatures round up gathras to use them as mounts. The beasts are stubborn and unprdictable creatures that require constant discipline and domination to be kept in line.[/sblock]

Omega looks ok on a glance (I won't have time to do a proper review of these guys for a few days).

Just to make sure I got things right: An Ogre "pays" effectively two +1 boosts to get rid of a ECL +2, correct?

Yes.

However, I'm thinking of making the +1 racial bonuses back to +2, since the net gain on the Ogre is still higher than the 2 point loss.

Avalon:
Bad link. ;)
I'll have to look it over tomorrow.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Sounds awesome! I will attach that to my character sheet. I'm assuming that his saddle will cost like x3 as much as normal, which is fine. As for the adjustments on my ogre, just let me know what I need to change. I'm not about to argue lol (tends to hurt getting into a game).

Douane

First Post
Eidalac said:
Just to make sure I got things right: An Ogre "pays" effectively two +1 boosts to get rid of a ECL +2, correct?

Yes.

However, I'm thinking of making the +1 racial bonuses back to +2, since the net gain on the Ogre is still higher than the 2 point loss.

Well, it's easy then: I'll drop the two attribute boni and take Half-Dragon at ECL +1 then. :p (Probably not what you had in mind. ;) )

Shayuri

First Post
Farmboy...a few possible problems leap out at me.

One - You have a whole mess of base classes, and hence would be saddled with a pretty big exp penalty.

Two - You have 20 class levels, and are therefore above ECL 20 when you factor in the Thri Kreen ECL and racial hit dice.

Three - Your item pricing is off...most noteably on your Mind Blank thingy. An item of Mind Blank (and since it lasts a day per casting, the 1/day thing doesn't really reduce it's cost :)) costs 120,000gp according to DMG2 and SRD. You also neglected to include the body slot surcharge on the 'bracers of mighty fists' and 'neckerchief of disguise.'

Four - Using an animated shield will still bonk out your Swordsage Wis bonus to armor. From the SRD: Animated: Upon command, an animated shield floats within 2 feet of the wielder, protecting her as if she were using it herself but freeing up both her hands. Only one shield can protect a character at a time. A character with an animated shield still takes any penalties associated with shield use, such as armor check penalty, arcane spell failure chance, and nonproficiency. (boldface added for emphasis)

Five - The Max Dex of padded armor is +8. So if you wear it, you can't get your full Dex bonus to AC.

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
As for your attack routine: you never get iterative attacks with natural weapons unless you have the rapidstrike (and improved rapidstrike for more than one attack) feat.

If you check the XPH Thri-Kreen explanation they lay it out pretty nicely. Basically, you get whatever full attack routing you would get with weapons, and then one extra natural attack (claw or bite) at -5 (-2 in your case since you have multiattack). If you attack without weapons, you get one attack with each natural weapon, all past the first taking a -2 penalty.

Also, I believe Eidelac said that BVoD stuff (Soul Eater) would be on an approval basis.

ethandrew

First Post
Okay, so I am leaning toward a Tiefling Swashbuckler 1 | Wizard 4 | Ur-Priest 2 | Mystic Theurge 10 and two other levels of unknown. Equipment will be pretty straight forward, Vest of the Archmagi (MIC), Belt of Magnificence (MH), two +5 Tomes.

Remove ads