• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Epic Destinies and Earth Giants

DandD

First Post
hong said:
[ spoiler ] DandD is a big POOPYHEAD [ /spoiler ]
No, not that, you fish. I mean another code, where your text is made compact, and where you have to click on a little button to see it. Not making it invisible. :p

hong

WotC's bitch
DandD said:
No, not that, you fish. I mean another code, where your text is made compact, and where you have to click on a little button to see it. Not making it invisible. :p
Oh, sorry.

[ sblock ] DandD knows too much. Take him/her out. [ /sblock ]

Derren

Hero
Edit: never mind

So I guess like with dragons each race of giants will have a different role? Earth Giants->Brutes, Fire Giants->Striker, etc.?

Last edited:

WhatGravitas

Explorer
DandD said:
[ sblock=Some Title ] hong and DandD are big POOPYHEADs [ /sblock ] gives
[sblock=Some Title] hong and DandD are big POOPYHEADs [/sblock]
Cheers, LT.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
DandD said:
Use [sblock] instead of

Voss

First Post
I was a bit underwhelmed by both articles.

The epic destiny is... bland. A few compound buzzwords from the index of a book on the Golden Dawn, or something. I mean, really, Demispell and hyperplanar? Sigh. The abilities are just the progression I was expecting from the level progression, but not really particularly epic or amazing. Shifting a daily to an encounter power? Nice, but not all that exciting, particularly right before the character is retired with some generic form of 'immortality'. The feel of the epic tier remains decidedly dull and lifeless- its just a continuation of what has gone before. Which would actually be totally fine, but the devs seem to want to convince people that its something amazing.

The hill giant is a bit, sad really. Struggling to match the damage output of a first level character. The sweep is the only interesting thing, and its only usable once. A gang of hill giants using it concert would be dangerous, but given their mental abilities, somewhat beyond them.

As far as the Titan goes... it isn't bad. The earthshock snafu is a bit amusing, but whatever. Its cemented an idea I've been toying with: I'm definitely going to drop the hit point and defensive benefits of the elite tag. They can keep the AP and the extra abilities (elite creatures seem to have more options than normal critters)- that makes them interesting. But the extra 130 hit points and marginally higher defenses do nothing to make combat with elites interesting. They just drag the fight out into grindfests. With a lower XP value, and less hit points, you can add in more monsters (or use them at lower levels) and avoid having combat devolve into the static exchange of hits and misses of previous editions. A 256 hit point Earth 'titan' with a 29 AC is still a threat, but its a threat that Beowulf can be challenged by, not one that Beowulf, the Grey Mouser and Harry Potter beat on for a couple extra rounds in the most boring and unheroic fashion.

Last edited:

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Lenaianel said:
Earth Shock is on Earth titan DDMini card :

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mi20080508a_etitancd.jpg

For RPG i think : encounter standard (recharge :5: :6: )

Wait a second...

That's great if it's on the mini statblock. But I don't plan on buying minis, so how exactly does that help me?

Edit: I'm of course assuming that the stat blocks in the previews are identical to the ones appearing in the MM. Maybe that isn't the case, but if it's not what's the point of these previews then?

Last edited:

Remove ads