• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Epic Destinies and Earth Giants

Voss

First Post
GoodKingJayIII said:
Wait a second...

That's great if it's on the mini statblock. But I don't plan on buying minis, so how exactly does that help me?

It doesn't. It was either left out of this article, or cut from the MM at the last minute (without cutting the flavor text.

Oops.

DandD

First Post
Probably a mistake by the guys who posted the excerpt on the wizards-page. I just hope that's not going to happen in the actual Monster Manual.

hong

WotC's bitch
Voss said:
I was a bit underwhelmed by both articles.

Quelle surprise.

As far as the Titan goes... it isn't bad. The earthshock snafu is a bit amusing, but whatever. Its cemented an idea I've been toying with: I'm definitely going to drop the hit point and defensive benefits of the elite tag. They can keep the AP and the extra abilities (elite creatures seem to have more options than normal critters)- that makes them interesting. But the extra 130 hit points and marginally higher defenses do nothing to make combat with elites interesting. They just drag the fight out into grindfests. With a lower XP value, and less hit points, you can add in more monsters (or use them at lower levels) and avoid having combat devolve into the static exchange of hits and misses of previous editions. A 256 hit point Earth 'titan' with a 29 AC is still a threat, but its a threat that Beowulf can be challenged by, not one that Beowulf, the Grey Mouser and Harry Potter beat on for a couple extra rounds in the most boring and unheroic fashion.

Psst. D&D. Multiple players.

I also got the impression that hill giants are a bit weak... 21 Strength for a giant? but then IIRC, hill giants were always the weakes of them...

Maybe making giants elite would be more interesting... right now it seems they are beatable by a group of Level 1 characters...

their most dangerous ability seems to be that rock throwing thing... (it does more damage than the great club)

edit: and once again an oversight... they should really be more carefull now...

errors in the core books are the most annoying thing i can imagine... its not like a PC game, which can be easily patched...

Last edited:

Voss

First Post
DandD said:
Probably a mistake by the guys who posted the excerpt on the wizards-page. I just hope that's not going to happen in the actual Monster Manual.

The problem is, they would actually have to go inside the text block and edit that to remove it. If it was the stat line, I could see how it could drop off, but that would be from the middle of the block. My money is on cut, but they forgot to alter the tactics.

Its still a pretty frightening brute. With the AP, 4 x 2d10+6 isn't something you can ignore. The average character is going to be bloodied at least if all those attacks hit.

Ginnel

Explorer
Cirex said:
I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't show a list of the epic destinies with their prereqs, but well, we get to see what the standard will be : One "resurrection" power, one utility and two features.

EDIT:

Weird wording:

Quote:
Spell Recall (21st level): At the beginning of each day, choose one daily spell that you know (and have prepared today, if you prepare spells.). You can use that spell two times that day, rather than only once.

Sounds like 3.5 writing. Bold mine.

I believe in the wizard's character sheet it suggested a spellbook allowed him/her to have access to two daily spells but he/she was only allowed to memorize one for each day

I find it hard to believe the Earth Giants weren't just a snippet and therefore not the whole finished article. Although I also nitpicked the fact they were called Earth Giants one was called a Hill Giant and the other an Earth Titan, either call them Earth Giant and Earth Titan or Hill Giant and Earth Giant would make me happy anyway :p

- - - - - - - - -
http://xkcd.com/386/

Last edited:

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
So, after you finish your epic quest, you're done with the game as a single player.

But, you can still go on a Random Awesome Individual Demiplane.

Neat!

Where do they come up with these ideas?

:D

Remove ads