WotBS Epic Destinies for WotBS (?)

larryfinnjr

First Post
Months ago I signed up as a paying subscriber to EnWorld because I stumbled across WotBS and was just BLOWN AWAY at how fantastic the entire production is. I made plans immediately to put my own homebrew campaign on hiatus so my gaming group could start playing it. And they are VERY happy at my decision, ultimately enjoying their Gate Pass characters possibly more than what they'd been playing for the previous year.

I've exolted Burning Sky everywhere I've been and to everyone who'd care to listen, including to Morrus, who was gracious enough to reply to me directly on more than one occassion. It is simply wonderful.

I know Zeitgeist and Santiago and the WotBS Online projects are taking so much of your time. But I must ask:

When will the promised epic destiny supplement be published?

It just seems criminal to not complete this final piece of an otherwise glorious puzzle. In public I asked HERE about the supplement and was told "...we still have to do the epic destinies, though we did inlcude one of them in one of the adventures." by Morrus. Others have chimed in as well asking about it. Via PM I've asked the same thing, but not received a response, again because I'm assuming you're swamped.

My group's characters are now nearly 9th level and preparing themselves for paragon level (next week: the War Council - wish me luck!). You did a fantastic job, as with the adventures themselves, at the paragon path supplement. Please do right by Burning Sky and its fans and bring the entire project to closure.

( I do hope this comes across with the respect it is intended to give and with a genuine love of the game. :) )

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I keep trying to write this, but for some reason I find it really hard. The Paragon book was much, much easier to write. I've no idea why I'm finding it harder, but I'll keep plugging at it.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I keep trying to write this, but for some reason I find it really hard. The Paragon book was much, much easier to write. I've no idea why I'm finding it harder, but I'll keep plugging at it.

I'll do it for free.

Although I would need access to the entire WotBS series :D

larryfinnjr

First Post

SO very glad to hear that, Morrus. Well, not glad that it's harder to knock out, but that you're still willing to get it published. :)

THANK YOU! -- on behalf of all WotBS fans!

Arachnariel

First Post
Hello Morrus,

Any news to give us about the Destinies of the Burning Sky ... some will need this last supplement quickly :)

Thank you for your great job so far and please give us good news about that

David

larryfinnjr

First Post
[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] - it's been 3 months since we last heard anyhing about the epic destinies for WotBS, (and my party is cresting level 15 now!)

Can we please get an update / estimate / Christmas present? :)

Jhaelen

First Post
*bump* Well, my group is now about to enter Paragon tier, too. While it'll certainly be quite a while until we're ready to enter the Epic tier (if at all...) it would be nice to know a bit more about the epic destinies to plan ahead. Is the list given in the Paragons.pdf still accurate?

01 Master of the East Wind
03 Master of the West Wind
04 Resistance Legend
06 Lyceum Instructor
07 Master of Echoed Souls
08 High Inquisitor
09 Solei Pancis Juggernaut
11 Wayfarer Exemplar

Since these appear to be continuations of the paragon paths, why were the following left out?

02 Biomancer
05 Knight of the Aquiline Cross

[I guess the one epic destiny we got in Wintry Song of Agony (Dreamborn Savior) is the continuation of 10 Trillith Bound?]

[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION]: Let's be honest: Have you actually _started_ writing any of these?
It can't be _that_ hard! There's plenty of official epic destinies and most of them are quite similar, at least mechanically. Maybe some of the existing ones could simply be 'refluffed'?

And if you've made any notes on what you plan for them, perhaps you could just post your ideas and the community can help to finalize them?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION]: Let's be honest: Have you actually _started_ writing any of these?

Excuse me?

There's plenty of official epic destinies and most of them are quite similar, at least mechanically.

That's pretty much what I said, yeah.

And if you've made any notes on what you plan for them, perhaps you could just post your ideas and the community can help to finalize them?

I did consider a community project; I've had a lot of bad experiences with those over the last decade, though.

Perhaps I should bite the bullet and try to persuade Ryan to write them. That's a question of time and funding; though there's no doubt that he's a better writer than I am.

Reskinning really makes the most sense to me. Maybe change the ability scores they give bonuses to, tweak prerequisites, or alter the power source.

01 Master of the East Wind = avatar of storm or storm sovereign
03 Master of the West Wind = mythic spirit or avangion
04 Resistance Legend = avatar of freedom, legendary sovereign
06 Lyceum Instructor = eternal seeker
07 Master of Echoed Souls = . . . I don't know what the paragon path did; if it's psionic, then Godmind or Mind Lord of the Order. If more monkish, then diamond soul?
08 High Inquisitor = no idea
09 Solei Pancis Juggernaut = invincible vanguard
11 Wayfarer Exemplar = keybearer or master of moments

Honestly, I see epic destinies in the books as suggestions. They're pretty easy to cheat into the character builder, so why not custom craft them for each PC?

Jhaelen

First Post
Excuse me?
If that's supposd to be a 'yes', then what's the status?
I was just asking because I was wondering if there's still a chance they will see the light of day, considering all the other, newer stuff you're probably busy doing, and particularly considering the current buzz about D&D Next.
Perhaps I should bite the bullet and try to persuade Ryan to write them. That's a question of time and funding; though there's no doubt that he's a better writer than I am.
Well, I cannot judge if it's important enough to warrant additional funding. Naturally, "I" think it would be great and totally worth it ;)

I also wouldn't mind if it turned out to be just a short document with reskinning suggestions, though - apparently RangerWickett thinks that's probably the way to go.

I'm reluctant to do it myself, because I might be biased (or rather accused of being biased...). Custom-crafting epic destinies for my players is not an option for the same reason.

Remove ads