• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Epic Destiny: Exalted Angel

Reffy

First Post
There's this epic destiny called 'Exalted Angel'. (prerequisite: lv21, any divine class).
Basically, this destiny changes your PC into an angel.

What I can't figure out is this sentence: "Your origin changes to immortal."
I've looked everywhere to find out what this means, but couldn't find anything useful.
There's a lot of 'flavor' text in the description, which makes it even more confusing.

What I would like to know is:

1# Do I still need to eat?

2# What about sleeping? Or has it become a trance?

3# Am I immune to diseases and/or poison?

4# Is there a difference between immortal origin and immortal keyword?

5# Angels, in D&D, can go to other dimensions, where the deities are in example. How does this work? Or is this something for the DM to decide?

From what I know, angels (Christianity) don't eat/drink, sleep and have emotions. But I guess in D&D 4e, it could be different.

If anyone can answer these questions, I would be grateful.

Nullzone

Explorer
From the RC:

Immortal creatures are native to the Astral Sea. Unless they are killed, they live forever.

That's pretty much all you get. The rest is up to abstraction.

So I would say you don't have to sleep, don't have to eat, are not immune to disease/poison, and while you are a planar being you cannot inherently or automatically travel between planes (there are rituals for this).

mneme

Explorer
I'll note, btw, that there already -are- two "Immortal" races. The Shardminds (who are just weird), and the Deva (who are former angels). The Deva are particularly relevant here, as they have an angelic nature. Deva do need to sleep (apparently -- although their style lends more to trance instead), eat, and breathe. But they don't age.

I'll note, btw, that most Angels (as creatures) are immune to fear -- but not to poison or disease. One can argue (correctly, I think) that D&D angels are immune to fear, but not to other emotions (and, in fact, angels tend to -represent- emotions).

Reffy

First Post
This is really helpful, thanks.

So, to regain my healing surges, a 4 hour trance (like Eladrins) would be normal then?

Everything else will be left with abstraction than.

mudlock

First Post
So, to regain my healing surges, a 4 hour trance (like Eladrins) would be normal then?

No. There is no such specific rule just for having the immortal origin, so you use the general rule.

The only specific rules are: your origin is "immortal" instead of what it was (which doesn't do anything on its own, but effects may key off of it), and you do not age (not that I've every been in a campaign where "growing old" was actually a concern for anyone.)

Incenjucar

Legend
The main thing is that you will no longer be affected by things that affect "natural" creatures but will be affected by things that affect "immortal" creatures. This mostly means that you need to be careful with how you use the Magic Circle ritual lest you trap yourself in it with an angry devil.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
For the most part it's best to simply think about it as a hinderance

you don't get get anything for it, but now anything deisigned to fight devils and angels works on you too

Remove ads