D&D 5E Epic Monsters: Ōphan

This dalliance with the realms celestial in the Epic Monsters column is finally getting really weird: check out the ōphan!

Ophan DND 5e BANNER.jpg

Also known as ofanim or galgalim or many-eyed ones or Lords of the Flame, these angels appear on divine chariots of various kinds, their luminous bodies made of eye-covered wheels. Sometimes they can be found under the throne of god, or move with the cherubim—depending on where you look, Eastern Orthodox Christianity have ophanim ranked third (beneath the cherubim and seraphim) while they are listed by the Judaic scholar Maimonides as the angels closest to god.

Design Notes: Luminous wheeled celestial coming right up! For all of its eyes this angel’s got All-Around Vision, and otherwise its traits are derived from its glowing brightness—innate castings of daylight or sunburst, its sunbeam ranged attack, the Solar Flare reaction, and of course it's Lit. Let’s do the numbers! The DMG cruised in at 9.833 and the Blog of Holding at 10.5, averaging out to a Challenge Rating just a smidge over 10.

Ōphan

Small celestial, lawful good
Armor Class 16 (natural armor)
Hit Points 115 (21d6+42)
Speed 40 ft., fly 90 ft. (hover)
STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA
12 (+1)​
17 (+3)​
15 (+2)​
11 (+0)​
14 (+2)​
18 (+4)​
Saving Throws Con +6, Wis +6
Skills Perception +10, Religion +4
Damage Resistances fire; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened
Senses truesight 120 ft., passive Perception 25
Languages Celestial
Challenge 10 (5,900 XP)

All-Around Vision. The ōphan cannot be surprised. In addition, it has advantage on sight-based Wisdom (Perception) checks and on saving throws against being blinded.

Angelic Weapons. The ōphan’s weapon attacks are magical. When the ōphan hits with any weapon, the weapon deals an extra 10 (3d6) radiant damage (included in the attack).

Innate Spellcasting. The ōphan’s innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 16). The ōphan can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
At will: dancing lights, detect evil and good, light
3/day each: daylight
1/day each: sunburst

Magic Resistance. The ōphan has advantage on saving throws made against spells and other magical effects.

Really Lit. While conscious, the ōphan sheds bright light in an 80-foot radius and dim light for an additional 40 feet. The effects of a darkness spell (or similar effect) are suspended in any area within 40 feet of the ōphan.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The ōphan attacks four times.

Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d4+3) bludgeoning damage plus 10 (3d6) radiant damage.

Sunbeam. Ranged Spell Attack: +8 to hit, range 200/800 ft., one target. Hit: 17 (2d12+4) radiant damage and if the target is a creature, it makes a DC 16 Constitution saving throw or is blinded until the start of the ōphan’s next turn.

REACTIONS
Solar Flare (Recharge 5–6). When the ōphan takes damage from a melee attack, it can use its reaction to blast its attacker with divine light. The creature makes a DC 16 Constitution saving throw or it is blinded for 1d4 rounds.

Last edited:

Mike Myler

Mike Myler

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
I like this. You might want to elaborate on how Lit interacts with magical darkness.
Modified to Really Lit. ^_^
Yeah, trying to find a definitive list is a hard thing to do. The only consistent ones are usually Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael, with the other 4 being a grab-bag.
Added Michael and Gabriel onto the queue!

QUEUE UPDATE: Down to just 72 now!

Aaron L

Hero
Modified to Really Lit. ^_^

Added Michael and Gabriel onto the queue!

QUEUE UPDATE: Down to just 72 now!
Cooooooolness. I look forward to seeing how you handle ideas for Gabriel's trumpet! You could even use some ideas from The Prophecy with Cristopher Walken as Gabriel (Damn, love that movie! Gregory Widen was just wonderful at making movies that went on to become fantasy cult favorites, like that and Highlander.)

Gabriel sits on outdoor steps with children all around him, allowing one of them to blow his trumpet, which shatters all windows in sight.

Gabriel : "Study your math, kids. Key to the Universe!"

(I still use that quote with my friends.)

"Do you know how you got that dent in your top lip? Way back, before you were born, I told you a secret, then I put my finger there and I said 'Shhhhh!'"

Xotli

Explorer
Sorry for the late reply, but I couldn't resist commenting on this one: I actually played one of the ofanim in an In Nomine campaign once. :D I dig this interpretation of them, but I'm wondering why All-Around Vision doesn't confer immunity to being blinded? (Also, if it were me I would clarify that it only grants advantage on perception checks based on sight—basically the same wording as Keen Sight—but that's more of a nitpick.) But overall I think this is a great version! (y)

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
Sorry for the late reply, but I couldn't resist commenting on this one: I actually played one of the ofanim in an In Nomine campaign once. :D I dig this interpretation of them, but I'm wondering why All-Around Vision doesn't confer immunity to being blinded? (Also, if it were me I would clarify that it only grants advantage on perception checks based on sight—basically the same wording as Keen Sight—but that's more of a nitpick.) But overall I think this is a great version! (y)
Can do on the "sight-based" bit. Why would they be immune to the blinded condition?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases