equivalent for priest domains?

root.tar

First Post
Is there an equivalent for priest domains in the 4. Edition? Are priests somehow restricted to certain powers if they are good or evil?

Starfox

Hero
Each of the core gods has one special feat. Essentially, you can use this feat instead of turning undead, and each has a unique (if not overly impressive) power.

If you want to keep a domains, assign such feats to domains instead of to gods.

There seems to be some design space left unexplored in regards to Clerics. I can see the possibility of powers that grant better benefits if you follow a certain god. Similar to Fighters weapon-related powers, or Warlords Inspiring or Tactical powers.

Maybe in the 4E Complete Divine equivalent?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I suggested at one point that you could give all clerics their 'feat divine power' as their default ability and make 'turn undead' something that could use a feat to get. The idea was to make clerics of different deities more distinct.

Mouseferatu commented that this would probably work fine.

Cheers

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Plane Sailing said:
I suggested at one point that you could give all clerics their 'feat divine power' as their default ability and make 'turn undead' something that could use a feat to get. The idea was to make clerics of different deities more distinct.

Cheers

I think it'd probably work as well. I'll be trying that actually and see how it holds up (that is the one thing I did like from 2e...clerics were distinct based on their deity, and not all could turn undead)

Edwin_Su

First Post
an exemple of a priest feat:

please don't cut n paste from illegal PDFs. Thanks. Plane Sailing

Last edited by a moderator:

FourthBear

First Post
I remember that a ways into 3.5e, the Forgotten Realms introduced Initiate feats, which gave you a bonus and access to a list of spells exclusive to that particular faith. Perhaps something along those lines would be useful. You would come up with some faith-appropriate benefit for the feat and then develop a list of prayers only for those clerics with that feat. Might not be worth it, but if you'd prefer something like the domains, I would try that and the creation of the various Channel Divinity feats, as suggested above.

Sitara

Explorer
KOtS had Armor of Bahamut. You needed a feat slot to get it. So thats how they work IMO; the paladin or cleric spends a feat slot to get the sphere/domain power of the deity he is aligned to. Turning undead IMO apprears to be hard coded into the cleric (again!). The paldin cannot turn undead though it seems. I'm cool with that though.

Gothmog

First Post
Yeah, something like domain/deity specific feats and abilities are something I'd REALLY like to see for clerics and paladins to give them more varied abilities and prevent the carbon-copy cleric syndrome of 3.x.

So Scott, if you're still reading....hint, hint. ;)

mattdm

First Post
Plane Sailing said:

My 4E game is going to be undead-heavy, so I'm planning on just giving 'em to clerics for free. We'll see how that works. :)

Remove ads