Ernest Gary Gygax (July 27, 1938 – March 4, 2008)

Thank you Gary. For everything. For the game, the friends, for your children, including Ernest. Without you there would be no D&D game as we know it, no Hobby Shop Dungeon as I've come to know it, no role-playing game hobby as we've come to love it. You were a good guy, a gamer, a great creative person, and you are sorely missed. Hail.

Thank you Gary. For everything. For the game, the friends, for your children, including Ernest. Without you there would be no D&D game as we know it, no Hobby Shop Dungeon as I've come to know it, no role-playing game hobby as we've come to love it.

You were a good guy, a gamer, a great creative person, and you are sorely missed.

Hail.

pming

Legend
I still remember the exact moment I heard of his passing. I couldn't believe it at first. For a moment I just stared blankly at the screen. Then everything went all blurry and I cried like a baby. For someone I only talked with once or twice online, I had felt I was somehow a part of his "gamer family". His words helped shaped my youth, and I am eternally grateful for that. When I leave this prime material plane, first thing I'm doing is heading to Greyhawk to track the ol' guy down and shake his hand! Still love you Gary! Still missing you every day. :(

madrivi

First Post
Although I did not get to meet Gary in person, the impact of his work on my life has been evident through the years. Thanks Gary, for a lifetime full of memorable moments, wonderful people and amazing situations.

nerfherder

Explorer
Thanks Gary, for everything. And thanks, ENWorld, for giving me a venue where he and I could converse before his death.

I was thinking that it's a shame I never got to meet him, but your post reminds me that we got to chat about a couple of things on EN World.

Thanks for so many hours of fun, and so many friendships, Gary.

Icon_Charlie

First Post
Guess my memory of the man is much different than what others give him credit for. Then again I have met them all. The old guard that started the RPG industry.

But credit is given when credit is due. It was Gygax's business sense and most important the "drive" that made an concept into a reality. Without D&D and role playing the Video Gaming industry would not have evolved as it is now. That is his legacy.

Not a bad thing overall would you not say?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads