WotBS Errata for WotBS #1

lectric

First Post
There are 2 thugs. Just place him close to the other one.
Roll 1d6 each round. If a collapse is rolled, start at C1. The next round, roll 1d6 again to see if C2 falls. This is like stacked dominos, the first one falls before the second one.
Steve, thanks for all your clarifications here. The error in Ambush, then, is in the following page, where the text implies that there is only one thug:
WotBS 1 (p. 41) - Ambush said:
  • Make a Strength check for the Thug and the 4 Recruits at the door ...
  • The Thug enters first and shouts ...
  • The bounty hunters try to rely on numbers, but when the Thug is defeated, the rest will surrender and beg to tend to the injured.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Perception / Insight rolls

Or more specifically, when to use them versus the PC passive Perception / Insight scores.

When the PCs are actively trying to do something that falls under the purview of these skills (checking for traps, trying to figure out if someone is lying, etc), they roll.

If they are not actively using them (i.e. they come upon a trapped door but do not state that they are searching for traps), then the passive scores should be checked to see if they notice whatever is going on.

An example might better illustrate my point. In the very first scene inside the pub, the module calls for the PCs to make DC 10 Perception checks to notice the bells chiming throughout the city. Unless the PCs state that they are listening or looking for anything out of the ordinary, the passive perception scores should be used. No rolls necessary. If their passive scores beat the DC, they notice. If not, they don't.

We know this. :)

Well, it totally depends on what they're doing, doesn't it? When we write the adventure, we don't know what your players are saying in the future.

We don't state whether it's a regular check or a passive one, just that it's a "check". We use the word "check", not "roll", so as not to imply that it must involve a dice roll. The DM will decide which it is according to what the PCs have said they're doing.

In your example of the bells, if they've said nothing then it would be a passive check, but if one of them said "I'm listening out for stuff" it would be an active check (or roll). So the module asks for a "Perception Check", which could be either, unlike a "Perception Roll" which would only be an active check.

Last edited:

lectric

First Post
Hey all, I'm confused about Diogenes. The first time he's mentioned is p. 13 where, in passing, it says he is a wizard at Gabal's school who dislikes Shealis. It also mentions "when they meet, Torrent is quite impressed...", but this seems to refer to a possible future event.

I don't see anywhere that anyone tells the PC's to look out for Diogenes, or even anyone mentioning his name. Yet, when they see him, there's a DC 7 Insight check for the PC's to know who he is. Why would the heroes suspect that the gatekeeper is Diogenes, when they don't even know that a Diogenes exists?

Besides, isn't it basically impossible for any character to ever have to roll for a DC 7 Insight check? In order to have to roll, you would have to have a Wisdom of 5, and be untrained in Insight. Thus, for at least all-but-one in the party (and probably everyone), it's automatic passive Insight. What's the deal?

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

merchantsteve

Explorer
The text is a bit muddy on page 13. Torrent did meet Diogenes on her mission and describes him to the heroes while at the safe house (The Blue Robe stuff is the clue for the Heroes). Just imagine that she is a bit smitten with him, and if the heroes go off the reservation and you do some further adventures in Gate Pass, any encounters with Diogenes will be a bit amusing. Imagine a Spencer Tracy/Katherine Hepburn pairing (1940's movie stars) or a Indiana Jones/Marion Ravenwood love affair. She is likely to go all gooey over him and then deck him at the same time!
The Insight check is meant to be low - some things are meant to give the players a sense of accomplishment. You can make this a passive check if you wish (automatic success), or roll it. If you roll it, a 1 is still a failure!

lectric

First Post
Ok ... I had already seen the bit on p. 13, but the context is baffling.

It looks like this little crush happened while Torrent was away from the PC's. The way it's written, it looks like DM information, intended for later if/when they are all together with the 2 NPC's. So, if the PC's never actually see her meeting Diogenes, how would they know this? Am I the only one overthinking this?

So, if I understand it, Torrent returns to the Safe House, tells the PC's something like:

dm said:
"I met a hopelessly arrogant wizard, named Diogenes." (Here, perceptive PC's notice a dreamy look in Torrent's eyes.) "Although I could barely stand his sarcasm, he was rightly disgusted by the new paragon Shealis' use of a solon familiar -- can you imagine enslaving a creature able to take human form? -- and his robes were cut from a rich blue cloth that matched the blue of his eyes." She blushes and looks away.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Ok ... I had already seen the bit on p. 13, but the context is baffling.

It looks like this little crush happened while Torrent was away from the PC's. The way it's written, it looks like DM information, intended for later if/when they are all together with the 2 NPC's. So, if the PC's never actually see her meeting Diogenes, how would they know this? Am I the only one overthinking this?

So, if I understand it, Torrent returns to the Safe House, tells the PC's something like:

Yep. You'll notice we do this quite a lot - tell the DM the goods but don't railroad him with boxed text. WotBS was always a series for the more experienced DM, with complex themes, characters, and plotlines, and we always felt it better to trust the DM than to handhold him the whole time. :)

Remove ads