D&D 4E Essential 4e: Heroes of the Forgotten Lands

lutecius

Explorer
My take on it after reading and playing the Gameday event is that if you were avoiding 4E because of what they did to the classes, particularly the martial ones, this may be the game for you.
that's what I thought at first, but the apparent lack of multiclassing is a real turn-off.

I like meaningful differences between the classes, and I don't mind them being focused, as long as I'm not stuck with only one.

I do believe though these classes can multiclass themselves to take another PP.
how are power swaps going to work with classes that don't have dailies?

Klaus

First Post
that's what I thought at first, but the apparent lack of multiclassing is a real turn-off.

I like meaningful differences between the classes, and I don't mind them being focused, as long as I'm not stuck with only one.

how are power swaps going to work with classes that don't have dailies?
As long as you have the Multiclass feat for a class, you can take Paragon Paths for that class. There are lots of Multiclass feats that the Essentials classes can benefit from. And they can take the Power Swap for Utilities.

lutecius

Explorer
As long as you have the Multiclass feat for a class, you can take Paragon Paths for that class. There are lots of Multiclass feats that the Essentials classes can benefit from. And they can take the Power Swap for Utilities.
um yeah, I was thinking of paragon multiclassing (I haven't played 4e since 2008 so I tend to mix things up...)
still, that's not much flexibility.

zoroaster100

First Post
I don't have a copy of the book yet, though I have ordered it. I was wondering if anyone with the book can explain if humans have all of the same racial benefits in Essentials as they do in the PHB EXCEPT for having Heroic Effort instead of an extra class at-will. Do they have the same racial bonus to defenses, extra feat, etc.?

fba827

Adventurer
I don't have a copy of the book yet, though I have ordered it. I was wondering if anyone with the book can explain if humans have all of the same racial benefits in Essentials as they do in the PHB EXCEPT for having Heroic Effort instead of an extra class at-will. Do they have the same racial bonus to defenses, extra feat, etc.?

While I don't have it either, I am almost certain that it is the exact same, the only difference is when picking human you get a choice of either an extra at-will or taking heroic effort (so you can still get the extra at-will if you want) the Heroic Effort power in place of the extra at-will.

Last edited:

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Humans get
  • Languades: Common, choice of one other
  • Bonus Feat
  • Bonus Skill
  • Human Defense Bonus
  • Heroic Effort
Extra at-will is not an option within HotFL.

Last edited:

Camelot

Adventurer
Maybe that's why humans are mentioned again in Kingdoms. They will then introduce the bonus at-will into essentials (for those who only use essentials and not the PHB).

zoroaster100

First Post
Thanks, Thalmin. That answers my question. So it seems Essentials humans are the same as PHB humans except for having Heroic Effort in place of the bonus at-will.

Remove ads