Essential system/edition independent books

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
So I'm currently playing PF2 and I have the books I need for that system. However I really want some good reading that will hopefully enhance my campaign.

So are there any books you'd recommend that could do this, either system neutral ones or maybe even books of a particular system that you find that useful they transcend that system?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So I'm currently playing PF2 and I have the books I need for that system. However I really want some good reading that will hopefully enhance my campaign.

So are there any books you'd recommend that could do this, either system neutral ones or maybe even books of a particular system that you find that useful they transcend that system?
Heroes of The Feywild is an excellent book for imagining adventures in Faerie and characters from there. The mechanics don’t matter, and it’s just a great read.

Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog - for the prices on random widgets and whatnots
Madeline Hale's Table Fables I & II - for when I need a random bit of treasure, NPC, book, or hook
The Dungeon Alphabet - always good for inspiring me when I'm stuck
Grimtooth's Traps - for when I'm feeling mean and need a gonzo trap

Nytmare

David Jose
I don't know how much of it you'd be able to port into your world, but I always push any edition of the Scarred Lands setting.

In the same vein, I think that the new Spire book by Rowan, Rook, and Decard is absolutely brilliant, but that one will be even harder to shuffle into an existing campaign.

Michael Prescott's free and Trilemma one page Adventures are really great. Have you looked at those? Trilemma Adventures

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
While they are not strictly system neutral Stars Without Number (or Godbound), Blades in the Dark, and Apocalypse World Second Edition are common reference material when I am running something more traditional. These games really shaped the way I approach game prep and are incredibly useful aids to me when laying out threat maps, factions, and sandbox content in general. I would also recommend Sine Nomine's Red Tide setting. It's written for BX (Labyrinth Lord), but has great material for creating dungeons and fantasy cities.

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog - for the prices on random widgets and whatnots
Madeline Hale's Table Fables I & II - for when I need a random bit of treasure, NPC, book, or hook
The Dungeon Alphabet - always good for inspiring me when I'm stuck
Grimtooth's Traps - for when I'm feeling mean and need a gonzo trap

I'm curious how do approach using grimtooths traps? Do you convert it into the system you are running and allow the characters to make relevent checks to spot and disarm the trap, or do you just drop in enough hints and hope the players work it out?

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
Some great suggestions here, and even though I count myself a gaming veteran, I'm ashamed to admit there are a lot of products I've not heard of, certainly some food for thought :)

Remove ads