Essential system/edition independent books

Jennell Jaquays has reclaimed the rights to some of her past work. She also offers some new stuff via DriveThruRPG. But yeah, alas, this is not something readily available.

From what I understand, the person formerly known as Paul Jacquacys is still around under a different name. They really should see if they can get their TFG work up at least in PDF. The whole series were excellent... and would be an excellent "fire and forget" dribble of income for the IP owner.

Unfortunately, the only way most will get to read it is via pirate sites, as it currently sits.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Elminster's Guide to the Forgotten Realms - flavor, culture, background world. Not a rule in the book, IIRC.
D&D 3e Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide is a book of 1001 plot hooks; change the names and locations, plop the idea-kernel in the PCs' path.
World Builder's Guide (D&D 2e?) was inspiring when I read it (stuffed away in closet / garage for a few years now, though). Tables are not tied to any particular ruleset.

Garmorn

Explorer
The writer does not own the rights. Task Force Games owned them. ADB who now owns the rights to Starfleet Battles did not pick up this property and I cannot find out who now owns it.

I have found copies online for sale but cheapest was almost $100.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
The Primal Order (affiliate link) and its supplements would be my choice. Wizards of the Coast's first offering was an insightful book on the role of gods and religion in your campaign that has never been equaled, in my opinion.

aramis erak

Legend
So I'm currently playing PF2 and I have the books I need for that system. However I really want some good reading that will hopefully enhance my campaign.

So are there any books you'd recommend that could do this, either system neutral ones or maybe even books of a particular system that you find that useful they transcend that system?
Not a book, just an essay, but the easiest place to find said essay is in a partcular book: System Matters by Ron Edwards. It's an appendix to his game, Sorcerer. I can't recommend the game, not having been able to find a group that it fits, but the essay is probably one of the most important out of the Storygames movement.

aramis erak

Legend
The writer does not own the rights. Task Force Games owned them. ADB who now owns the rights to Starfleet Battles did not pick up this property and I cannot find out who now owns it.

I have found copies online for sale but cheapest was almost $100.
Given the time, Jennel probably can obtain them via the Copyright Recovery provisions in the US.
Task Force was bought by New World Computing; NWC was bought by 3DO...
Note that TFG didn't own a lot of the games they published, but instead had licenced them. (Which is why SVC has been able to reprints of several.)

Since the CRA was passed, purchased rights obligate the purchaser to keep them in publication, because if they don't, the creator can recover the rights.

Emerikol

Adventurer
So I'm currently playing PF2 and I have the books I need for that system. However I really want some good reading that will hopefully enhance my campaign.

So are there any books you'd recommend that could do this, either system neutral ones or maybe even books of a particular system that you find that useful they transcend that system?
I think a lot of the old 3e third party cities, towns, taverns, etc... are useful. I especially liked book of the righteous though some of the crunch would not apply directly. It's still a great book for designing your own pantheon of the gods.

babi_gog

Explorer
I would throw the equipment list book …and a 10-Foot Pole from Iron Crown Enterprises. Though primerally a Rolemaster book, it is very system agnostic. It is currently not in print as far as I can see, however still worth a read if a copy can be found.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases