Essentials Observations

Tony Vargas

Legend
3. Slayer is the image of everything that was good about the 2E Fighter. I've never got a stronger old school vibe from 4E than I get from the Slayer.
I can't recall anything good about the 2e Fighter at the moment, but the Slayer /doesn't/ bring back the 2e quisinart-of-doom dual-wielding-paired-double-specialized-weapons Fighter, so we can be greatful for that. ;) I found the Slayer strongly reminiscent of the 1e fighter at low levels: tough and hard-hitting (in the 1e fighter's case, due to percentile strength, in the Slayer's, of course due to striker damage bonus), able to do the heavy lifting and called upon to do so in the majority of fights.

shamsael

First Post
But unless the power specifically says so (see assassin's Shade Form), ally cover doesn't count for hiding. You can't maintain being hidden behind an ally (full cover->hide->move behind ally won't keep you hidden.), thief's trick doesn't let you hide with cover from an ally, unless it says so specifically. Why? Because the rules specifically say allies only give cover when determining ranged attacks. Enemies aren't ranged attacks, neither is seeing, so they can see you just fine.

But, if the power says you can use allies as cover, then there you go.

Edit: Checked the book, it make no mention of using allies to hide, therefore you can't

I don't see what you're talking about here. The power says if you have "any cover or concealment", you can hide.

Allies grant cover.

Why would that kind of cover not fall under "any cover"

Obryn

Hero
Yeah, I'm still trying to get a handle on Knights' defendery-ness.

On the one hand, being able to punish "mark" violation on every enemy is strong as hell. They're awesome against groups.

On the other hand, unless they're using the Slow stance, they're not really all that sticky. They smack you for running away, but once you're away, you don't even have that -2 to attacks. So, running away is a much more viable option with a Knight than it is with a PHB Fighter.

-O

giant.robot

Adventurer
Tonight I played an Encounters game and played a Knight. I loved how much hurt I could put on the bad guys even while surrounded by them. If they did anything but attack me (and miss thanks to my 20AC) they got punished for it. When I cleared out the enemies surrounding me or they backed off I switched to the Hammer Hands stance and charged them putting myself right back into the thick of them. The rest of my party just followed after me. Thanks to my Defender Aura they couldn't effectively attack my allies. I don't know if I'll keep playing a Knight in this Encounters season but he was super fun to play tonight.

While on vacation I was able to thoroughly read through the Heroes of the Fallen Lands and I really like the builds for the classes. I agree that the feats and powers all seem worthwhile. There weren't any "meh" abilities in the book, the biggest challenge won't be finding worthwhile feats and powers but narrowing down one to pick when you've got the opportunity. I really think this is great for new players because they not only get to do something every turn but they get to do something awesome every turn.

The Little Raven

First Post
I don't see what you're talking about here. The power says if you have "any cover or concealment", you can hide.

Allies grant cover.

Why would that kind of cover not fall under "any cover"

The power allows you to use Stealth to become hidden.

Stealth explicitly states you cannot use a creature as cover to become hidden.

I would not consider it OP to allow the thiefs trick to work in this way...

pulling up the trick is not guaranteed and going melee for flanks is more reliable in general.

sigfile

Explorer
Did you see Ambush Trick?

Move Action | Effect: Move up to your speed and gain combat advantage against enemies within 5 that aren't adjacent to any of their allies.

Stealth, schmealth. How 'bout permanent CA for the cost of a move action?

nookiemonster

First Post
Did you see Ambush Trick?

Move Action | Effect: Move up to your speed and gain combat advantage against enemies within 5 that aren't adjacent to any of their allies.

Stealth, schmealth. How 'bout permanent CA for the cost of a move action?

"Hey, Mage, would you use Hypnotism or Beguiling Strands to move that guy away from his buddies, please?"
"Sure." Mandrake gestures hypnotically...
"Thanks." *Ambush* *Stabbity-Stab!* *Thud*
"Mage, sorry to bother you again..."

Korgoth

First Post
"Hey, Mage, would you use Hypnotism or Beguiling Strands to move that guy away from his buddies, please?"
"Sure." Mandrake gestures hypnotically...
"Thanks." *Ambush* *Stabbity-Stab!* *Thud*
"Mage, sorry to bother you again..."

Yeah, that looks like one heck of a spikey synergy.

Remove ads