• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Essentials Rules Compendium preview copy in hand

fjw70

Adventurer
Unfortunately, it seems the OP of that thread has not answered any questions about the content (as of about 5 minutes ago). The questions that were answered were sources other than HotFL. Hopefully we won't have to wait until the book hits the shelves next friday for some info.

Someone else has now come to that thread and started giving some info.

Scribble

First Post
Maybe rituals and multiclassing will appear in the second book.

The other possibility was that both books have the same feats in it, and can be used independently.
We just don´t know, and i am not too sad about that. This will in fact support the "no 4.5" stance, as essentials is really only a part of the full rules. Those who want all of them (in written form) need to buy the core books.

Heroes of the... books just went a little down on my "must get" list. I just need to have a look inside to see if it is worth buying.

I kind of figured this would be the case (that the fear would die down after the release...)

Mike Mearls does a really good job at kind of explaining things in the most recent podcast...

4e is really a very small subset of core rules, on top of which a bunch of "optional" rules are layered.

All classes are basically "optional" rules you can swap in and out as you see fit... Essentials I think is just the beginning of what the system is capable of doing.

Which I think is insanely awesome.

Aegeri

First Post
Hey Thalmin a new really important question: On readying an action, does the readied action provoke an attack of opportunity when you ready it? I've heard this claimed by a couple of people now and would love confirmation on this.

Basically it prevents a ranged character readying an action to attack a melee creature on its turn to avoid an AoO.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Hey Thalmin a new really important question: On readying an action, does the readied action provoke an attack of opportunity when you ready it? I've heard this claimed by a couple of people now and would love confirmation on this.

Basically it prevents a ranged character readying an action to attack a melee creature on its turn to avoid an AoO.
In the subsection on Ready an Action (p247) there is a heading Triggering Opportunity Actions.
If a creature readies an action that normally provokes opportunity actions, it triggers them twice: when it readies the action and when it takes the action.
Example: If an adventurer readies a ranged attack while adjacent to an enemy, he provokes an opportunity attack from that enemy. If he is still adjacent to an enemy when he makes the ranged attack, he provokes an opportunity attack again.

Vael

Legend
Is it? I hadn't even thought about it, I don't think I've seen it ever come up, and I can't recall if there'd been a previous ruling on the matter.

Remove ads